F1 » Chilton: I deserve a second season

Max Chilton says he feels he has done enough to show he deserves a second season in F1

DFuct

October 16, 2013 10:04 AM

Credit where it's due, Max has really turned it around this year. In Japan Bianchi had car issues in quali (mostly as a result of going off in FP) so Max outqualifying him was more to do with circumstance than actual pace but he has closed the gap from whole seconds to a couple of 10ths. However, F1 should still be a meritocracy so I'd still like to see a real charger like Frijns, Vandoorne or Magnussen in that seat for 2014.

thelogicalview

October 16, 2013 10:16 AM

As long as his father's money lasts he will stay on. The problem driving for a back of the grid team is that you have to be something really special to stand out and he has not shown that talent however much he might have improved. My guess is that he will do two years and then fade from the scene like so many other hopefuls before him.

Taipan

October 16, 2013 10:25 AM

It's amazing how often people get confused between what they want and what they deserve.

I want a brand new house on an episode of Cribs
And a bathroom I can play baseball in
And a king size tub
Big enough for ten plus me

Doesn't mean I deserve it......

richard

October 16, 2013 11:29 AM

ty. don't be so hard on yourself! I am sure you deserve it.

not so sure about Chilton though. Russian owner has written off 138m of marussia debts. even with maxs daddys cheque, I think that the owners will want to see progress, something they will not see from maxi boy!

roadburner

October 16, 2013 1:23 PM

.........and I deserve to be a millionaire because I've worked hard all my life and been careful with my money Last time I looked at my bank account though, it was still in the red. I guess that's life, hey?

HairyLuthier

October 16, 2013 1:51 PM

Seriously Max? Di Grassi, D'Ambrosio and Pic all out qualified Timo Glock from time to time. You have achieved absolutely nothing this year.

I am British myself and have to say, the blind devotion to UK drivers from the BBC,SKY pundits is seriously annoying to hear every race weekend.

JJJ

October 16, 2013 4:19 PM

Wow...The difference with Bianchi in both qualifying and races is so big that I really don't think he deserves another year. If it would be FA as his teammate, ok, you could say he's getting closer, but in fact it's another rookie who failed to win the GP2 and WSBR title (meaning there were still some young drivers ahead of him who should be considered for F1).

With Bianchi arguably having done the best job of the 4 rookies this year (caveat: we can only judge him by beating Chilton) and him only hanging on to his seat on the back of the grid I would say Chilton has to make way based on performance...but as others have said money talks.

1 2  »