F1 » F1 has lost the 'fear factor' - Davidson

The drive for safety in F1 has inadvertently led to the loss of one of the biggest safeguards of all - a driver's natural fear about the consequences of his actions, says racer and pundit Anthony Davidson.

pcxmac

October 22, 2013 4:58 PM

The fear factor really only applies to the fans excitement and some adrenaline for the drivers. Also dangerous driving is really just an exercise in exploitation (televised/sponsored), so I don't really care for the sentiment.

Welshie

October 22, 2013 5:09 PM

Well done that man, couldn't agree more. Formula Kindergarten is so padded and safe that the pussies called drivers drive like 2 year olds, banging into each other etc because they believe they are invincible. Barriers 5 miles from the track, super strong cars and the like.

When was the last serious injury in F1? I'm thinking Ralf's Indy Crash in about 2004. I don't condone excessive danger, but there should be some because this is what would sort the men from the boys. Why are these people, most of whom are automotons told when to push, when to ease off, paid millions a year when the danger is far less than most peoples daily commute?

I race 250 superkarts and that is far more dangerous..120+ mph with no seatbelts! Give us millions of pounds a year!

pcxmac

October 22, 2013 5:35 PM

Guy Debord would have interesting words for you guys to think about. Why ask for dangerous driving when you can watch guilt free, free of severe exploitation. If you want danger, go jump off a bridge, or out of a plane and see who pulls their chute last.

Taipan

October 22, 2013 5:55 PM

I have a feeling that the 3 posters above me didn't witness F1 back in the good old days when drivers were paralysed, burned, killed on a monthly basis. It wasn't really as entertaining as your romantic imaginations may lead you to believe.

I guarantee you that career ending and life ending accidents in F1 are not just a thing of the past, they will return, maybe next race, maybe next year, maybe 5 years from now. Until then be grateful of this period of relative safety because it wont last.

Welshie

October 22, 2013 6:03 PM

Who is asking for dangerous driving? In fact making cars safer encourages that. You know why? Because like I say there is no RESPECT for the consequences. Watch bike racing, and most of the riders race with respect because they know how easy they can get hurt or hurt other riders.

I suspect you have never raced nor have a competitive spirit.

Taipan,

No I didn't, and like I say I'm not glorifying it, but these drivers choose to do it. They are paid lots of money to do so and can walk away ANY time they want. I suspect most are in it for the lifestyle these days so don't want to get their hair mussed in a crash.

sirexilon

October 22, 2013 6:10 PM

Davisson had his chance, when he had to prove it, he really wasn't able to prove much, I thought he was better but was not the case, the ones telling here he should still be in F1 I think forget the bad moments specially last ones when he had to proove his value.

Safety is important, if he wants to die, or races because is racing against death, then go back to the 80s boy. If a run out is boring to you, let me tell you that if you had a Mass, Michael or Maldonado to name a few and they push you out like they usually do your race is over, and they go to win it, so it goes both ways. You are just a sore looser. stay on your playground you were not good enough for a real top team. Enjoy that .

richard

October 22, 2013 6:42 PM

oh come on! all drivers in f1 and before raced for the sheer exhilaration of driving fast and being the best. I doubt they were doing it for the "fear factor" do you think Jackie campaigned for improvements purely to remove a "fear factor"? no, he campaigned so that drivers would not be crippled or killed, and depriving their spouses and children of spouse/father. when an f1 driver straps himself into a car, he should not have to worry about possible death, but should be concentrating on being the fastest person in the race.

if ant wants a "fear factor" maybe he should take up Russian roulette?

Taipan

October 22, 2013 8:45 PM

Rob, I would agree with that as currently there is virtually no penalty for throwing the car off the track where in the past you'd be out of the race. Although tests suggested that kitty litter was dangerous as it could flip the car.

I do think the current safety standards have given some drivers a false sense of security, contact is too common place and F1 is supposed to be a non contact sport. If the current drivers drove the cars and tracks of 30+ years ago like they do now half the grid would have met their maker by now.

1 2  »