F1 » Champions dominate Ecclestone's ultimate grid

Bernie Ecclestone reveals the drivers he would like to see race off against each other.... and pole may not go to who you think!

Taipan

November 06, 2013 3:00 PM

My Ultimate Grid (is better than Bernie's)

1. Clark
2. Prost
3. Schumacher
4. Senna
5. Vettel
6. Fangio
7. Stewart
8. Alonso
9. Hakkinen
10. Piquet
11. Rindt
12. Villeneuve
13. Moss
14. Ascari

Not (necessarily) in that order. Oh and a special guest appearance by Tazio Nuvolari.

oops I forgot Lauda! better make it a 15 car grid.

LoussineLad

November 06, 2013 6:14 PM

Bernie is not too far from accurate, but it is difficult to make a list as the champions over the years have been so different ie does one go for purely talent or a mix of talent / desire to win at all costs. Thus I would exclude Senna and Schumacher as , in my view, they were not sportsmen whereas Clark and G Hill were sportsmen.I include Hill as a driver who won by sheer effort rather than outright talent. Same reference Stewart who drove with his brain as did Prost.

whitew

November 06, 2013 8:38 PM

@LoussineLad

"Thus I would exclude Senna and Schumacher as , in my view, they were not sportsmen"

I suppose Vettel's not a sportsman either.

Sorry but Senna and Schumacher were 2 of the best drivers ever and believe they always wanted to win every race, not make up the numbers like alot of drivers.

Taz

November 06, 2013 10:01 PM

@LoussineLad

I'd say your doing a few drivers a disservice there.

Look at drivers that shine in challenging conditions, Senna and Schumacher both shine through (JS too). I can't honestly say I was a huge Schumacher fan (as a person) 1st time round but I respected his talent and what he achieved. I was only about 18 when Senna was in his pomp and have a blind spot slightly due to his unfortunate passing (like Colin McRae) maybe but you cannot ignore these guys....seriously!

It's about drivers at the end of the day, not personality.

1 2  »