F1 » Lotus confirms Maldonado

Pastor Maldonado: It is a fantastic opportunity for me to join Lotus F1 Team for 2014. It's no secret that I have wanted a change of scene to help push on with my F1 career and Lotus F1 Team offered the very best opportunity for me to be competitive next season.

Taz

November 29, 2013 4:30 PM

"Hello, Lotus bodywork shop....wha...wha...what do you mean you've signed Muldernandos Eric? we'll need the 20 million for the f**kin carbon fiber bill"

mikeas

November 29, 2013 4:31 PM

As they say money talks. I feel sorry for Hulkenberg as I think he is a far better driver.

On the other hand, given the well publicised lack of money at Lotus, I question how far they have progressed in the development of their 2014 car?

I suspect that they (and Sauber) may spend next season playing 'catch-up'

KevinW

November 29, 2013 4:38 PM

...and that ends the record short run of the new Lotus as a contender. Maldonado will easily bully the fire out of Grosjean, while his on-track antics and lack of capacity to follow the instructions of team engineers (the reason Williams let him and his money go) will drop Lotus into a hole. Was a nice, if brief, little run for Eric and the gang.... sorry to see it end this way.

Shannon

November 29, 2013 4:43 PM

I dont care what anybody says he is quick. Yes the hulk would have been much better pastor has the money and with the engines costing teams reportedly 25-40 million more next year alone for development and all im not surprised. Pastor talks himself up a lot and im excited to see if he can back it up. I doubt he can consistently but would not be surprised at all to see him score a few podiums and MAYBE a win. When ge is on it he is VERY quick. He did win a race rather convincingly lets not forget and held off a Ferrari.

sprulz

November 29, 2013 4:44 PM

@KevinW
It's sad, but I have to agree with you, Lotus weren't ready for an F1 comeback just yet. They put themselves in a bad position financially and now have to resort to this. There is also going to be a significant loss of fans because everyone was counting on them to bring Hulkenberg to the front. It's probably going to go downhill from here on, which is a shame. Would've been nice to see Lotus take a title.

thelogicalview

November 29, 2013 4:46 PM

Money more than talent has won the day here, he has had a pretty unimpressive run at Williams apart for one fluke win. Hulkenburg is the better driver and it makes sense for him to stay at Sauber as I don't think Force India
are a better team. He should be in a front running car but the way F1 is going that looks more and more unlikely.

JJ9871011

November 29, 2013 4:48 PM

@ mikeas

I fear as you that due the $$ issues, the 2014 car probably has some deficits. As I have said before, this could be a blessing in disguise for Hulk. We all know $$$ pushes a car forward and we all know Lotus are short on that. Also the lose of James Allison and their head of aerodynamics, I really wonder where Lotus will be for 2014.

I hope RG wipes the floor with him. I really hope the 2014 car does not let RG down. Would hate to see 2013 be his only good year.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  »