F1 » Kaltenborn confident in Sauber pairing

Monisha Kaltenborn says she is confident that Sauber's 2014 pairing of Adrian Sutil and Esteban Gutierrez can impress this season

LoveF1

January 26, 2014 11:41 PM

Yada yada yada...the usual noises at the start of every F1 season...

Is there any F1 team principal that will NOT say they are confident in the drivers that they end up pairing? Even if they are not the initial first choices? I am waiting for Lotus to announce to the rest of us that Maldo is the best choice they could have found anywhere.....or have they already done so?

LoveF1

January 26, 2014 11:45 PM

Talking about choices, why do some drivers just keep yo-yoing around mid-table teams year after year? I follow F1 as much as everyone else, but I've lost count of the number of times Hulk and Sutil have driven for Force India or swapped teams in the mid-table. Has Hulk ever spent more than one consecutive year in a team??

Taz

January 27, 2014 9:25 AM

@LoveF1

If the weight limit had been raised for this season rather than 2015 then the hulk could have been driving for McLaren. remains to be seen if the car is any better than FI's though. Lotus's grave funding issues meant the useless Nando's got the lotus drive. Don't think he had much choice in the end. As for Sutil, I'm still scratching my head why someone convicted of GBH keeps getting a drive.

LoveF1

January 27, 2014 9:57 AM

I hear you, Taz.

And I'm not against drivers generally moving teams...but it just feels like some drivers are constantly on the move and not staying to develop a stable working relationship and grow with ANY one team. Maybe the dictates of an expensive "sport" like F1 takes precedence in some of these sporting considerations...from a fan's point of view.

Taz

January 27, 2014 10:40 AM

@LoveF1

The amount of moves the hulk has made is definitely on the high side. He could end up been another Heidfeld and end up disappearing of the radar despite promise.

Zedd

January 27, 2014 11:37 AM

At the moment I think if you are in a mid-pack team then doing as Hulkenberg has is probably about right because none of these teams seem to really value their drivers the way that the top teams seem to.

LJ

January 27, 2014 8:40 PM

Zedd: It's funny that too many moves can make you look like you might be out of the picture because you don't form any relationships (Hulk) while staying with the same team makes you look like you have no better options and that you'll also be out of the picture soon (di Resta).

Williams wouldn't have Hulk back and I don't think Sauber got on well with him from what I've read. So apart with VJ's obsession with European drivers, he had nowhere to go other than Force India.

While I think Hulk is a good driver, I don't have an unnatural obsession with him like the media/pundits seem to.

LoveF1

January 28, 2014 2:01 AM

Thanks guys, for confirming my original point, so I wasn't just moaning for the sake of it. I think that in the past four years, Hulk has been at Williams, Force India, then Sauber and now Force India. At the end of this season, he will most likely try to move again....to either McLaren or Lotus.