F1 » Villeneuve slams direction of F1

Jacques Villeneuve tells Crash.net F1 has "gone too far now" and that it may be beyond help as the sport "is really far away from what F1 was and should be"

Mintox

February 14, 2014 8:01 AM

Gotta admit i agree F1 is getting ridiculous as its no longer about going as fast as possible for the full distance. Its about managing tyres and conserving fuel which is not my idea of F1.

ProfessorX

February 14, 2014 8:08 AM

Sports plans = money & interest. Racing is a distant third. I think the biggest tragedy is continuing the throttle by wire and now introducing the brake by wire. I think Lewis is gonna hate racing these new cars, not unless the computer is doing exactly what he wants them to do, wonder if they can control the brakes on each corner separately. I think brake and throttle by wire just opens the door for less talented drivers with money myself and the opportunity to run a sophisticated form of traction control.

Cris Zarate

February 14, 2014 8:20 AM

The best thing to do in F1 right now is elminatr the dependency in aero.. simplify the front wing and limit it to 2 flaps unlike rigt now it is ridiculously complicated, its even more complicated than an airplane wing.

theoldgitspeaks

February 14, 2014 9:01 AM

F1 has been in decline for some time and the decision to run small turbo engines is both contrary to the cost cutting agenda and a reduction in the speed and spectacle of F1. There are I suggest at least three if not four teams who are appearing to run on thin air. The reduction in costs is being stalled by the likes of Ferrari and Mclaren because they are drowning in money and have no interest in helping the other teams. The fact that Bernie has about faced yet again and has invited prospective new teams to apply
really sums up the situation. Villeneuve is right to say that F1 is in a serious decline so much so that I suspect in several years time we will be down to 8 or ten cars running round at reduced speeds in order to save fuel and avoid wearing the tyres out. How sad and farcical will that be?

benignlyindifferent

February 14, 2014 9:16 AM

I somewhat agree with Villeneuve, though without rule revisions and manufacturing constrictions the speeds would be so much higher than now that the current circuits would be unmanageable. Still, the money they spend on aero, and the evolution to an engine formula that only very major manufacturers can participate in makes me wonder. I still do not understand why further aero and wind tunnel restrictions, combined with a maximum kilos of fuel rule would not have addressed their issues from last year. They could have relaxed the engine rules to allow teams to play with electronics and materials to get the most from say 130kg of fuel. When I see a GP2 car, or the new Formula car for Japan, I think i would rather watch these vehicles race if only they could put the top drivers in the cars.

Tomco

February 14, 2014 10:53 AM

F1 the pinnacle of motorsport ? Dont make me laugh. The argument is that technology from F1 eventually arrives in our everyday cars. That may partially be true but the same technology we now have is being developed by car manufactruers anyway. Lame reason.
Lets see F1 back to how it was. Loud and fast and just a bit risky. Unlikely though. Way too corporate these days.

seashack

February 14, 2014 11:50 AM

I completely agree with Jacques. No doubt they need to slow things down, otherwise cars would be too fast for the circuits, but I think they have gone to far. F1 seems to be more of a show now and less about racing. Racing is what attracted all of us in the first place though.

Funny, Jacques understands the dangers of F1 far better than most (lost his FATHER). Yet, he has never been about slowing the cars down. He was one of the first (or the first?) to try Eau Rouge flat. Cars weren't ready for it yet and he crashed at 180 mph. He then laughed that crash off as one of his best. He is a true racer and could drive different cars. His biggest mistake is he choice the wrong team. Lewis Hamilton is not the greatest rookie ever by himself. Everyone always says that but don't mention that Jacques equaled his feat. Both second in the championship, each with 4 wins.

Dario

February 14, 2014 1:23 PM

"Just wondering how after just 1 test session anyone can comment that 2014 is shaping to be the worst ever..."

People are capable of this thing called thought, and forward thinking, and analysis, and relying on past experience. Is it set in stone? No. But they estimate, with the data available to them, that the direction of something is not optimal.

Will it be the worst season? I don't know. I skipped the last 4 races last year, and slept through many others. I wonder if I'll even be able to tell, all said and done, if 2014 was good.

But to Villeneuve's point, F1 had always been about the crazy spectacle. And when it's barely faster than GP2, and cars just slightly more exciting to watch than Indycars, something did go awry.

Mustafur

February 14, 2014 1:47 PM

For me this is the most exiting F1 season for awhile, F1 is at its best when there is some technology to talk about, the last few seasons felt like a spec series when all the mechanics of the engine being frozen.

Whilst good racing is always good to see, the opportunity to see technology and racing together side by side is art.

1 2 3 4  »