F1 » Massa: Happiness and relief at Williams choice

Felipe Massa insists it was the 'right time' to join Williams Martini Racing for F1 2014 despite its difficult season in 2013.

EdOz

March 07, 2014 8:54 AM

Good move by Felipe indeed! And in many ways it seems it was also a great move by Williams.

I just hope he changes his trend of sucking on the first half of the year 'cause that's when I think Williams will be able to give him the best car to fight for decent results.

It's highly unlikely given the performance Mercedes has shown and the potencial McLaren has... but if they manage to go to the summer break 10-15pts ahead of the field they're in with a chance as Massa tends to pick up his game on the second half.

hoddle

March 07, 2014 9:08 AM

As much as I am glad for Massa, he is talking rubbish. The reason he is at Williams is because he got sacked because of mainly poor driving in one of the best cars in 2013. All this talk about going for a team with a Mercedes engine is rubbish. We all know that drivers who were free of a contract in 2013 all wanted to go to Lotus, and Massa was not even on their radar and had limited choices nothing to do with planning. He has lucked his way into a now competitive car.

The only proper forward thinking driver I have seen is the one who turned his back on a top team in 2012 and sacrificed a season so he would find himself in the top car come the 2014 season and he has hit the jackpot. That's planning.

Firestorm

March 07, 2014 9:27 AM

That Massa got sacked by SF, that's true. But everyone trying to join Lotus? A team that hardly could pay his employees and (as Massa said) was loosing key staff to rival teams, that could hardly be a dream team for intelligent drivers like Massa. Williams was moving forward since the end of 2013. On the other hand Lotus hardly could improve on their 2013 results, considering the competition at the front. I admire the guys at Enstone because they are so innovative. But a Lotus without Raikkonen, Allison, de Beer, Boullier (without counting the troublesome Renault) would not be the same. Massa and Hulkenberg did well at choosing Mercedes powered cars.

Redstone

March 07, 2014 10:14 AM

I for one would be so happy if Felipe won the championship this year. He has long had to stand in the shadow of team-mates and not been able to show his true worth. Hopefully he and Williams will shine brightly this year.

107SS2009

March 07, 2014 10:49 AM

Taz, A couple days ago I prepared everybody on here including CRASH about a concerted effort at this site by the troll now that he has been kicked-out of his last nest, he once declared to me “the more CRASH pushes me out the more I will come back”.
Re Massa, I am really happy for him and also for Williams, but that doesn't remove the (luck-in) into the situation they both found themselves in, what they need do now is take advantage of the situation both him and his team found themselves in while it lasts, that situation will not last for more than halve the season.

Tomco

March 07, 2014 10:57 AM

Best of luck to Felipe and Williams. Would love to see him put one over on Alonso and Raikkonen. How I would laugh. Felipe has always remained very loyal and barely complained once unlike some of the other prima donnas one could mention. Hes one person who appreciates the position he has in life. Good for him.

benignlyindifferent

March 07, 2014 11:59 AM

Massa is not the first driver to be sacked and he won't be the last. Prost, Raikkonen, the list even includes world champions. It is how you respond to the event that is important, and Massa has the correct attitude. I did not think he would factor in this year, due to his removal from Ferrari and my anticipations about the Williams car. Happly, I am wrong in both regards and Massa will be in the mix in many of the races i think.

1 2 3  »