F1 » Alonso quickest in FP1 as Hamilton hits trouble

The new F1 season got under way in Melbourne with Fernando Alonso fastest for Ferrari and Lewis Hamilton in trouble

JJJ

March 14, 2014 3:16 AM

The Ferrari looked pretty sharp out there, really eager to turn in...a bit nervous almost. Hope Kimi can get it under control a bit better than he did now though, otherwise we can already wave any notions of epic battles between FA and Kimi goodbye.

Other than the Ferrari being quickest so far instead of a Mercedes powered car it was all pretty much as expected after winter testing...so I guess sometimes times do mean something in testing.

Final note: I was actually annoyed at first by the engine noise, but then I got used to it although it's still a lot worse than the V8s and V10s. The Ferrari sounds best on TV...you know, in that filtered cigs are better for your health than unfiltered ones kinda way.

sokudo

March 14, 2014 3:22 AM

Yeah Alonso looked good out there. The 2 Bulls were faster than I think a fair few people expected. Both Hamilton and Button said though that they thought the car was fundamentally good and could go fast for a short while. Ricciardo's done well to beat Seb straight off though. I know it's practice but it'll boost the confidence a tad imo. Both Williams' looked strong as did Button tbf. Him and Alonso looked better than I thought they would. Kimi's looking like he's having trouble with the beast that seems to be the Ferrari, Rosberg was kind of anonymous (could mean some issues or could mean sandbagging). Force Indias tbh looked somewhat ordinary, the Saubers too. The Toro Rosso is clearly a handful. Multiple offs for both Vergne and Kvyat. Apparently a brake-by-wire issue. Bad start for Hamilton too, especially this year. Losing track time is never great but losing it this year could be more vital I reckon. Lotus is unfortunate. If it doesn't catch fire on one of the days I'll be happy

elijah

March 14, 2014 3:29 AM

I know it's early days since it is practice one but the cars do seem very slow. I feel like I'm watching GP2, and the cars sound like cheap broken washing machines trying to go through a spin cycle.

ProfessorX

March 14, 2014 3:29 AM

dang, missed the first practice, guess I didn't miss much seeing as I am a hopeless die hard hamilton fan boy, will be tuning in to FP2, no surprises, Button and Alonso fastest.

redcarfan

March 14, 2014 3:39 AM

Just watched FP1. The cars are ugly, the engine note is horrible, very few cars were on the track at the same time. 6 cars did not post a time.
The suspense was around whether or not the teams could get their cars:1. On the track, 2. Get the car to run long enough to post a timed lap.
This is not F1, this is a series for what are now hybrid cars.
By the way, the fastest lap time of FP1 was almost 4 seconds slower than FP1 last year.
I have been an F1 fan nearly all my life, I don't know if I can stick with this politically correct nonsense.

RawPace

March 14, 2014 3:50 AM

those renault powered cars are fast than expected, full power utilization of renault engine may be a cause..ferrari has the best sound and handling..also williams is up right there with ferrari..

Googolplex

March 14, 2014 4:32 AM

Early days only FP1, but I was relieved to see both RBRs got out there and doing some comparatively respectable times. Daniel put in a reasonably good number of laps as well.

The way things look at the moment, the Hulk must be feeling OK about the fact that Lotus chose Maldo's bag of cash.

Marksman

March 14, 2014 5:17 AM

The new engine note is going to take some getting used to. I actually enjoy the throatiness (is that a word?) but I feel the need for a few thousand more revs. I will NOT get used to the massive tallywhackers hanging off the nose. The Scuderia might look like a duck billed platypus but at least it doesn't have that obscene attachment.
Excuse me while I betray my love of Ferrari...
GO WILLIAMS!!!

107SS2009

March 14, 2014 6:20 AM

Professor, A Lulu fan boy? Your fanboyism must be rated lower than 3rd rate.
Having skipped supporting your Lulu for the wormed of your bed when he most needed your support on his returning to the pits on foot with his crash helmet in place, visor down he was stopped from entering the pits by a security asking for a sight of his pass at the paddock gate, that security must be from the same place from Where I come as where I come from you don't try go inside anywhere with a crash helmet on with visor down no matter who you might be.
Googol, a splashed photo of the Hornet and the RB7 with Ricardo at the wheel (what I was talking about yesterday) on the runaway at RAAF Victoria can be confirmed on autosports.

Fullofit

March 14, 2014 7:02 AM

More than just a little disappointed with the dots on the officlal site live timing ...

I won't be forced into paying for that.

Next time Bernie is looking for reasons why F1 is losing fans, perhaps he should consider how he's trying to squeeze us fans by taking away free services and replacing them with some sort of paid system.

1 2  »