F1 » Sepang considering F1 future

Sepang's CEO tells Crash.net he is considering whether it gets value for money as the host of the Malaysian Grand Prix

ProfessorX

April 29, 2014 3:51 PM

it's not just the noise, it's the pitch of the motors, which is undeniably low, low enough to be a consumer car exhaust note.

how about F1 starts showing the RPM graphics again :) .... nah, didn't think so, then everyone would say hey, I can do that in my daily driver too.

here4thesun2

April 29, 2014 4:46 PM

Now this is interesting. This is not a throwaway venue as compared to a Korea.

This looks like an cost correction as F1 cannot hold past values at its peak. The noise and sound may have been a minor topic for setting costs if things were doing okay otherwise. But now it is the primary topic and a lesser fee may hold sway.

Hard to ignore, whether you believe it to be a valid point or not. So who needs to address it? Bernie's selling the license. He can only sell what the FIA is providing.

walrus909

April 29, 2014 4:58 PM

@ here4thesun2

Agree about the cost correction bit, and not just Sepang. I saw the light with my beloved SPA facing financial troubles.

The entire F1 cost has long passed the value of the product to the consumer.

here4thesun2

April 29, 2014 5:24 PM

walrus909: @ here4thesun2

The entire F1 cost has long passed the value of the product to the consumer.

Some tracks should never go away. SPA fits that category. Unfortunately, the sound bodes well for some of SPA's non-financial issues.

There are some other countries that may fill-in the demand. But there are a limited number of countries that can and should. The venues may start to resemble Olympic venues for frequency and duration of use. Hopefully traditional and devoted consumers are targeted at cost rather than searching the globe for another mark.

Jim Clausen

April 29, 2014 9:20 PM

rob01

April 29, 2014 10:28 PM

Jim Clausen: Some F1 prices are beyond absurd. When COTA, Austin, Texas opened they were charging $15,000 to park a motorhome at the track. That's not in the paddock, but in the pasture. The price of a ticket for F1 from COTA was some $7,000, which included a hotel. WTF? I'm damn sure not going to shell out that kind of money, nor do I want to be around anyone foolish enough to do so. I sure hated to see Mario pimping for those a-holes.

i can find tickets for a lot cheaper. i can get you the three day passes for 2 to 3 hundred.

here4thesun2

April 29, 2014 10:31 PM

walrus909: I just cancelled my satellite service. $120 a month to get ONE channel, NBCs, for 2 or three races. If I can't get the stream to work, well I'll just read the drivers quotes n F!.

where's the stream. i'd love to bury my cable box.

1 2  »