F1 » Bottas confident of 2015 challenge

Valtteri Bottas believes Williams will be in a position to challenge at the front of the field again in 2015 as a result of its strong year this season

here4thesun2

August 08, 2014 11:58 PM

So if McLaren calls, do you jump ship?

I don't think so, but it is a close call. A few so-so years followed by a trough of under-performance. Does this upturn signify the reversing of trends, or just a bit lucky this year with engines.

And McLaren, Honda may not be the answer since they didn't have a boat anchor with Mercedes all those years. They may not be getting the love they had been in the past. But one has to think if their chassis was up to snuff, they would be able to compete more at the front, if not have 2nd outright. Along with securing an engine that gives them an edge on others, they still have to mount a chassis to it. It is going to take a change in management or talent in order to correct what is ailing and that will take a while to turn into inventory.

I am curious to see what two drivers end up at McLaren. And to see how Bottas does next year.

sprulz

August 09, 2014 12:02 AM

here4thesun2:

My guess is that they'll definitely keep Magnussen. Bottas will stay at Williams and Grosjean'll be the one who jumps ship. It'll be interesting to see who ends up where as most of the seats are secured.

here4thesun2

August 09, 2014 3:58 AM

I agree with keeping Mags and picking up Grosjean. There has been some sweet talk - both with the old French team connection and with the "in" at McLaren. He is keeping the options open.

If the McLaren does not turn up though, they will look as impotent as Grosjean and Maldo do currently. And that would be miserable for GRO.

I can easily see Button kicking around another year for contracts to free up or to be out due to politics. I am not positive that he has his say at this point.

107SS2009

August 09, 2014 10:12 AM

Re the 2015 championship challenge, bar Mercedes of all on the grid it is Williams who have the least work to do to their present car package to bridge the gap to Mercedes, they have certainly done a good job with their resources (being maybe the fourth best on the grid (because of financial restraints).
Sir Frank Williams having seen Paddy Lowe being gifted an ultra dominant and a stunning reliable car at the first Jerez test and having now became increasingly unreliable and knowing firsthand the Paddy Lowe effect must be spinning his chair around in gleeful anticipation.

here4thesun2

August 09, 2014 2:53 PM

Paddy Lowe disagrees with you. He has said as much in an online Autosport article where he is trying to shovel some dirt onto Ross Brawn's involvement with the current era of success. Claiming a bit for himself.

I hope they can keep on their trajectory. I'd like to see them poke their heads above FI and Sauber in the fight to get out of and stay out of mid-pack teams. Those teams had some successes within a year, but could not transfer that success onto the next year.

JJ9871011

August 09, 2014 4:27 PM

Bottas is certainly making the most of what he has and for sure has cemented his ride for at least another 2 seasons if not beyond.

As for Massa, I like him and he's had some bad luck this year (AUS, UK, GER gps come to mind). But in races he is running he has not been able to match the pace of Bottas. I would like him to stay 1 more season, but if given the chance, I think the smart move would be to pick up RG. Those 2 with Williams really coming on song would be fantastic for 2015.

107SS2009

August 09, 2014 4:29 PM

Here4the sun, I have no doubt that Lowe disagrees with me, that's a right of his as much as a right of yours and everybody else. When I remember the stunning dominance and reliability of the car Lowe was handed in Jerez and the reliability problems they have ran into under his guidance I say that his claim by taking credit for moving Mercedes on since taking over from Ross Brawn is of monumental self importance while checking his shadow wasn't about to pounce while talking to the press, I well remember mclaren having the quickest car in 2012, yet under Lowe's technical guidance their 2013 car suffered unreliability and operational orders scuppered any chance for them to challenge for the championship, this was his final maclaren design (MP4/28 of 2013. Add arrogance to incompetence, and in Lowe you have the classic pride before the fall just waiting to happen.

here4thesun2

August 09, 2014 5:07 PM

107SS2009: Here4the sun, I have no doubt that Lowe disagrees with me, that's a right of his as much as a right of yours and everybody else.

I thought you would get a kick out of it. I, for one, do not necessarily agree, so I didn't pen my name to it. Cheers.