F1 » Kate Walker: The rock and the hard place

Kate Walker points out that "improving the show" could be pointless for F1 if people aren't able to see it in the first place

foreverfaster

August 29, 2014 10:11 AM

Wow, I'm so pleased people still report on this.

It was such a shame when it left the BBC, I have watched it all my life. Knew I couldn't justify buying sky and sky sports subscription just to watch formula 1.

I now find myself watching the few races that are left on BBC and paying £10 for nowtv to watch the race only. I'm an F1 fan, but glad viewing figures are going down.

They need to sort this out and get it back on the beeb.

redhumvee

August 29, 2014 10:11 AM

i said about this at the time making f1 pay per view is ridiculous as it is costing the sport dearly also the ticket prices to even go to an event all this stems down to the money grabber at the top of f1 as that's all he (bernie) is interested in is the money not the sport and fans. something needs to be done about this and fast before f1 is gone for good

Russell13

August 29, 2014 11:54 AM

I only have access to the BBC coverage on a normal day but sometimes I do get to watch it live on sky, and from what I have seen BBC coverage is better, it is rediculous they want you to pay to watch worse coverage on sky, with the only advantage being that it is live. I just end up banning myself from the internet and watching highlights.

CallMeMrCynical

August 29, 2014 12:48 PM

Unfortunately Kate has hit the nail on the head.

Greed is starting to take over from common sense, Greed on behalf of the big teams who squirt an obscene amount of money at what was a sport and refuse to take on simple fixes to reduce costs (like banning telemetry and reducing all the PC monkeys that are lined up at the back of the pits).

Greed on behalf of the commercial rights holder who manipulates the prize monies and takes a far too large chunk of the money for himself. One thing that you may all not be aware of is that using Trust to avoid tax actually becomes a monster (I can vouch for that from experience). Sure you can dump £m's into it tax free but the costs of managing it along with the fact that when you borrow from it you have to declare this to the tax authorities and pay tax on what you borrow, very quickly it becomes a monster that you have to feed (that's ignoring any ex wives and daughters spending from it).

It could be that this monster is now driving the costs

Melrose

August 29, 2014 12:59 PM

Spot on Kate -
In South Africa, FI is available only on the premium package of pay channel Supersport for an eye watering $ 70 a month !
So the choice is either go hungry & sick ( no payment of groceries or medical bills) or follow F1.
Simple choice.