F1 » Hamilton to take on Olympians for BBC award.

Paul - Unregistered

December 03, 2008 12:48 PM

I won't be voting for him. I'd rather see an Olympian like Chris Hoy win personally. Hamilton has many opportunities to win such awards seeing as F1 is an annual 'sport' - Olypic atheletes only have such chances every 4 years.

Tim Burr - Unregistered

December 03, 2008 1:12 PM

Olympic athletes do not just train for four years until the games come around,they take part in other events as well!By your logic,Chris Hoy should win the award for winning a single event whereas a GP driver over 4 years would compete in approximately 75!

Boo - Unregistered

December 03, 2008 1:39 PM

It's a tough list this year, but I think I want Adlington to win - she wasn't expected to win one of those gold medals, but she did, and then smashed a WR in the other. Hoy was more expected to win those golds, while Hamilton's effort isn't solo because it comes down to the car to some extent.

Either way, it is a shame it comes to just a top 3 because Britain's had a really good year where sport is concerned!! 10th place in this vote is by no means a disgrace!

Paul - Unregistered

December 03, 2008 1:40 PM

Correct they don't, but no other achievement that athletes accomplish is ever as high profile as the Olypic games - therefore highly unlikely to capture the publics imagination and get them to vote. F1 is constant and always very high profile. Hamilton could well be in the Sports Personality competition for the next 15 years. Chris Hoy sure as hell won't be, no matter how great his achievements in non-olympic years.

Don't preach to me about what you think my logic may or may not be - My choice is for Chris Hoy and my reason is a valid one. Nothing wrong with thinking another sportsman is more deserving than Hamilton (although you wouldn't know it sometimes.)

piercarlogassolini - Unregistered

December 03, 2008 2:42 PM

As it's a public vote my guess would be it'd go to Rebecca Adlington, they/we will vote for a successful personality, and no way is Hamilton's personality as 'likeable' as Adlington. Sorry to get off the subject, but the team award MUST go to the whole GB Olympic Team, what heroes. And for any sports anoraks out there, why was the olympic team 'GB' when world athletics for instance we are 'GB and NI'?.

My vote? based on entertainment value, gotta be Dan Wheldon. Every time he's smiled this year I have been in fits of laughter

silver & black - Unregistered

December 03, 2008 2:57 PM

Well Hamilton stands a better chance to win this thing than Hoy cause Hoy is Scottish, the mere fact that Hoy has won THREE gold medals is not enough, had he been English Hoy would be a cert. After the olympics the BBC tended to give more air time that lassie whose name I can't pronounce who won the 400 metres (I Think). Its just another phone in scandal, also why isn't Scott Redding in the young sportsman of the year, or even Bradley Smith, Smith had the Dutch GP taken from him by rain and Redding won at Donington

DM - Unregistered

December 03, 2008 3:14 PM

I have to agree with Paul, Chris Hoy has had a monumental year with an unbeaten 22 match run in the Keirin (starting before 2008), having to adapt to sprint racing when the Olympic Kilo was phased out and winning the 3 events he entered outright. Although Hamilton has also had a brilliant year and I am sure will run all of the final 10 close there maybe a view of he is young and therefore will have an opportunity in the following years. There again the whole event is just a popularity contest anyway, there have been british champions that didn't even get a look in due to lack of televison exposure Dougie Lampkin (12xWorld Trials Champ) Carl Fogerty (4xWSB champ) only got a maybe next year.

button boy - Unregistered

December 03, 2008 3:16 PM

silver&black - Hoy being Scottish only helps him as you're gonna have tons of bitter Jocks voting for him just cause they can't stand to give credit to an English sportsperson.

If Hoy was English he'd just be another Ben Ainsley.

For the same reason, I'm not overlooking the Taffs and their man Calzaghe for a 2nd year in a row.

Nathan - Unregistered

December 03, 2008 4:12 PM

button boy - The population of England is over 15 times that of Wales so it didn't make a great deal of difference.

I'm Welsh and I voted for Hamilton last year, think I'd vote for Hoy this year though, based on how people have performed.

(If I could vote for anyone it would be Shane Williams - by far the best player in the 6 nations and this year became Wales' record try scorer, also the IRB International Rugby Player of the Year (the first ever Welshman). If he was English he'd be a contender, no doubt.)

1 2 3  »