F1 »

Richards confirms Cosworth requirement.

Prodrive boss, and potential Formula One team owner, David Richards has confirmed claims that the FIA stipulated use of Cosworth power as a requirement for a place on the expanded 2010 entry list.

Days after a lesser-heralded candidate for one of the three 'expansion slots', Stefan Grand Prix, launched legal action against the governing body [see story HERE], citing anti-competition practices, an interview with Richards has appeared, confirming that use of the Cosworth engine would find favour in the selection process.

The FIA had previously granted the iconic engine builder the tender for a 'low cost' powerplant in an effort to bring down the price of competing in the top flight, and subsequently awarded the three vacant spots on the grid to the US F1, Campos and Manor bids - all of which were revealed with Cosworth as engine partner.

Prodrive had been hotly tipped to fill one of the expansion spots, but was understood to have an agreement with McLaren and Mercedes, which would have led to the German manufacturer providing its engines. For that reason, the former Benetton and BAR team principal admits that Prodrive is unlikely to make the jump to F1 in its own right, even if BMW's announced departure opens up another vacancy.

"Exactly that was said to me," Richards told motorsport-magazin.com, "I must have a Cosworth engine if I wanted to be in the F1 world championship. However, I had an agreement with McLaren and thought that we would not be as competitive with a Cosworth engine, so I was not ready to change partner. If the regulations had meant, from the beginning, that we were only allowed in if we used such an engine, then I would have known the situation, but I do not believe that it is appropriate for those in charge of the sport to say such a thing."

Despite admitting that he remains interested in the outcome of the BMW situation, which remains in abeyance while any possible rescue plan akin to Brawn GP's is formulated, Richards acknowledges that it is unlikely that Prodrive will be on the F1 grid next season.

"I am waiting to see what happens in F1, but I won't spend my entire life waiting," he insisted, "I continue to put my plans with Aston Martin and for the WRC into action, and will wait to see what happens with the F1 rules.

"I have not seen the newest Concorde Agreement, and therefore I do not know whether it will permit the use of certain components by several teams. That is a critical factor for me. I do not believe that one can make a new car competitive in such a short time, and we have a partnership agreement with McLaren, which has been in place for a long time. Nothing has changed with regard to that."

Richards ruled out the possibility of making a bid for the BMW Sauber operation, but admitted that he was keen to see if the changes pending at the head of the FIA made it easier for Prodrive to enter in its own right in future.




Related Pictures

Click on relevant pic to enlarge
09.06.2006 Silverstone, England, . David Richards (GBR) Owner of Prodrive - Formula 1 World Championship, Rd 8, British Grand Prix, Friday
27.04.2017 - Pascal Wehrlein (GER) Sauber C36
27.04.2017 - Marcus Ericsson (SUE) Sauber C36
27.04.2017 - Press conference, Pascal Wehrlein (GER) Sauber C36
27.04.2017 - Press conference, Daniel Ricciardo (AUS) Red Bull Racing RB13, Kimi Raikkonen (FIN) Scuderia Ferrari SF70H and Pascal Wehrlein (GER) Sauber C36
27.04.2017 - Press conference, Valtteri Bottas (FIN) Mercedes AMG F1 W08 and Daniil Kvyat (RUS) Scuderia Toro Rosso STR12
27.04.2017 - Press conference, Valtteri Bottas (FIN) Mercedes AMG F1 W08 and Daniil Kvyat (RUS) Scuderia Toro Rosso STR12
27.04.2017 - Press conference, Valtteri Bottas (FIN) Mercedes AMG F1 W08 and Daniil Kvyat (RUS) Scuderia Toro Rosso STR12
27.04.2017 - Press conference, Valtteri Bottas (FIN) Mercedes AMG F1 W08, Daniil Kvyat (RUS) Scuderia Toro Rosso STR12 and Romain Grosjean (FRA) Haas F1 Team VF-17
27.04.2017 - Mercedes AMG F1 W08, detail
27.04.2017 - Geoff Willis (GBR) Mercedes AMG F1 Technology Director and James Allison (GBR) Mercedes AMG F1, Technical Director
27.04.2017 - Valtteri Bottas (FIN) Mercedes AMG F1 W08
27.04.2017 - Valtteri Bottas (FIN) Mercedes AMG F1 W08
27.04.2017 - Mercedes AMG F1 W08, detail
27.04.2017 - Mercedes AMG F1 W08, detail
27.04.2017 - Mercedes AMG F1 W08, detail
27.04.2017 - Mercedes AMG F1 W08, detail
27.04.2017 - Mercedes AMG F1 W08, detail

Join the conversation - Add your comment

Please login or register before adding your comments.

Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.


David Holliss - Unregistered

August 03, 2009 10:07 AM

It is only under the hierchy of Max & a Labour government that a team of the proven quality of Prodrive & DR could be refused entry into F1, whilst allowing a load of proven "tail enders" an entry just to make up numbers



© 1999 - 2017 Crash Media Group

The total or partial reproduction of text, photographs or illustrations is not permitted in any form.