Both Flavio Briatore and Giancarlo Fisichella have attempted to cool the speculation linking various drivers to the Ferrari seat currently occupied by Luca Badoer ahead of next month's Italian Grand Prix at Monza.
With Badoer again in lacklustre form at Spa-Francorchamps, finishing 14th and last on the road after qualifying at the back of the grid as Felipe Massa's stand-in, the rumour mill has been churning out names galore as potential replacements ahead of Ferrari's home round, with Belgian GP polesitter Fisichella moving swiftly towards the top of the list following his Spa showing.
Despite the BBC
reporting that an announcement could be imminent as early as Tuesday next week, the Italian's manager, Enrico Zanarini, moved to quash suggestions that his charge could be poised to leave a resurgent Force India team in favour of short-term glory at Maranello.
"Nobody's been in touch," he told the British broadcaster, "We find ourselves in a fantastic team, with a great car for Monza, because, if the car is quick here, it will be quick in Monza."
Fisichella admitted during the pole position press conference that it would be a dream to drive for Ferrari, especially in front of the tifosi
at Monza, but confirmed Zanarini's claim that there had been no talks with the Scuderia.
“It's only a dream," the veteran insisted, "I'm concentrated on my season with Force India. I have a contract with the team and there has been no contact with Ferrari.
"Considering today's result, I need to think about that if they are going to call me, but I'm just concentrating on tomorrow's race and then we will see. I don't want to think anything about the next race, if I am there [with Ferrari] or at Force India.
"Of course, there are a lot of rumours about [the future of Force India] but, for sure, being on pole helps any team, so I hope it's a good help. Our budget is limited compared to most of the other teams, but we are doing well. Everything is going well, and there is no problem to go ahead.
"About my future, it's too early to say. I didn't have any contact with other teams and I still haven't spoken to Force India about next year, but today is something that is good to go ahead for the future. I would still like to be a Formula One driver in the future, but obviously I need a car to be competitive, like today."
Renault boss Briatore, meanwhile, again rubbished suggestions that Fernando Alonso could replace Badoer, despite the Spaniard being heavily tipped to join Ferrari for 2010 - with an announcement apparently scheduled for the Italian GP weekend.
"Rumours suggesting Fernando Alonso will be in a Ferrari at Monza are senseless," Briatore told Italian broadcaster RAI
, "There are things that just can't happen.”