Newly crowned F1 world champion, Jenson Button could be on the verge of signing a deal to link-up with Lewis Hamilton at McLaren next year.

Button, who clinched the title on Sunday at the Brazilian Grand Prix, is understood to be keen to stay at Brawn GP, however, there is believed to be a considerable discrepancy between what the Brit wants to be paid, and what his current team is willing to give him.

The 29-year-old surrendered more than 60 per cent of his previous Honda pay packet last winter to enable the team to stay afloat in the wake of the Japanese parent company's sudden and shock withdrawal from competition - but there was always the understanding, he thought, that his retainer would be re-instated once the necessary finances were in-place.

Related Articles

Now with Button said to be disappointed with what has been offered, it appears he could be set to leave and reports in British newspaper The Daily Mail say there is a 'secret plan for an all-British dream team of world champion Jenson Button and 2008 king Lewis Hamilton'.

McLaren-Mercedes boss, Martin Whitmarsh was cagey when asked if there had been any discussions with Button or his management, who are not set to begin proper negotiations with Brawn GP until after next weekend's finale in Abu Dhabi.

"We've talked to a number of drivers," Whitmarsh told the 'paper. "It wouldn't be appropriate to say more than that.

"We will hire the two best drivers available to us as we always have."

Meanwhile Button has also been linked to Toyota, with London's Evening Standard reporting as much on Thursday.

"There are a number of drivers around who people seem to think are fixed but who don't appear to be fixed," Toyota team president, John Howett said. "We're watching what happens in the driver market."

For the record, McLaren and Toyota are also said to be in talks with Kimi Raikkonen, who has been replaced at Ferrari by Fernando Alonso.

More to follow as and when we get it...