Bernie Ecclestone has revealed that the FIA may not
bother appealing against the French High Court's decision to quash Flavio Briatore's lifetime ban from F1.
Former Renault F1 boss Briatore and sporting director Pat Symonds were both handed bans after their part in the Singapore-gate race fixing scandal. However the Tribunal de Grande Instance in Paris recently upheld Briatore's claim that the FIA World Motor Sport Council (WMSC) hearing had been a 'sham' and that he had not been granted a free and fair trial.
Subsequently the FIA announced on January 11 that an appeal 'is merited' and 'would be prepared' in order to 'ensure the continuing integrity and safety of the sport'. However it now appears that appeal might not actually happen.
"They have the right to do it (appeal), but I don't know if they will," Ecclestone told the German news agency SID
Ecclestone had previously said that he expected the row to rumble on throughout 2010: "It's not over by a long way," he told Britain's Telegraph
newspaper at the start of this month.
"Just because a bloody judge has said what he's said doesn't make any difference. Nothing's happened.
"The court said it was wrong, so the FIA can start all over again with a new hearing, and it will go on and on and on. That's the worst thing. It would be better if they all get round a table and see what they can do."