F1 »

Richards: Situation with USF1, Campos no surprise

David Richards says he is not shocked by the current predicament facing F1 2010 newcomers USF1 and Campos.
David Richards has said that the uncertainty with USF1 and Campos is 'no surprise' and that it was always going to be a 'daunting task' for any new team to step up to the pinnacle of the sport and be ready for F1 2010.

Richards, chairman of Aston Martin and Prodrive, saw his bid to get a slot in F1 last year turned down by the FIA, the sports governing body.

Currently only two of the four newcomers have begun testing, namely Virgin Racing - formerly Manor Grand Prix - and the new Lotus F1 team, and Richards added that while Prodrive could still be interested in racing in F1, there is no way it will happen this season.

"I am not too surprised at how difficult some of the teams are finding the challenge of both building the technical infrastructure and finding the finance to launch their F1 programmes," Richards told pitpass.com.

"Having been there before, Prodrive always knew this would be a daunting task. Although had our original bid been accepted by the FIA last June we had the infrastructure in place and the finance secured to be ready for the 2010 season.

"Now though it is not practical for us to consider any involvement this year as preparing a credible entry is not feasible.

"However, we will watch as the situation unfolds and we are certainly ready to consider any appropriate opportunities for our involvement in the future," Richards added.

Currently the precise fate of USF1 and Campos is unknown - although Stefan GP, who own the rights to use Toyota's design for this season, are currently waiting in the wings.



Related Pictures

Click on relevant pic to enlarge
09.06.2006 Silverstone, England, . David Richards (GBR) Owner of Prodrive - Formula 1 World Championship, Rd 8, British Grand Prix, Friday

Join the conversation - Add your comment

Please login or register before adding your comments.

Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.


Taz - Unregistered

February 19, 2010 2:58 PM

Biggest joke ever Campos and USF1 got a slot before these guys. Their pull-out when they couldn't use the McLaren customer car has never been forgiven.

CarCrazed - Unregistered

February 19, 2010 6:43 PM

Well, I think Campos had a strong card with the Dallara partnership (they even completed the car before any other newcomer). However, it was surprising when the FIA chose them instead of Epsilon Euskadi (having their own good infrastructure to build upon) if they wanted a spanish team. Which leads me to my next point, the only reason USF1 got a slot was because they saw the need to get the american market, a sort of trojan horse if you will. Campos did because it was the other best option outside the UK. It wasn’t only the FIA-FOTA conflict, it also was about making F1 “more international”



© 1999 - 2014 Crash Media Group

The total or partial reproduction of text, photographs or illustrations is not permitted in any form.