Stefan GP boss Zoran Stefanovic has said that he hopeful his team to be able to race this season, and that they will be in action at the season opening Bahrain Grand Prix
on March 14.
Although the Serbian-based outfit does not yet have an entry and had to cancel a planned test in Portugal after it was unable to secure a supply of tyres from the sports official partner, Bridgestone [see separate story - click here
], that hasn't stopped them from pushing ahead with their plans for F1 2010.
Indeed the outfit has already acquired the ready-designed Toyota
TF110 chassis' and has been allowed to make use of some of the Japanese manufacturer's Cologne base for the forthcoming campaign, as part of a deal to give one race seat to ex-Williams ace Kazuki Nakajima.
"Definitely, we are waiting for something to happen because the time is very short and the deadline for Bahrain is approaching," Stefanovic told Reuters
"If you are going to Bahrain you have to be packed by next Wednesday and we think we will be able to reach something by then.
"We are going to be in Bahrain. We are not saying it's for sure [that we will race], but we are looking forward to it.
"[Furthermore while] we have been unable to get the F1 tyres because the FIA and F1 have a contract stipulating that only the teams that are already in F1 can get the Bridgestone tyres, we believe the FIA has to release the proper tyres to us for safety reasons. We expect it to happen and we have very good faith that it is going to happen."
Meanwhile, Stefanovic added that the squad is close to concluding a deal with 1997 F1 world champion, Jacques Villeneuve.
"It's not happened yet but everything except his signature had been done," Stefanovic confirmed. "Probably in the next two or three days, we will be reaching some sort of an agreement."