F1 »

Piquet and Raikkonen to skip Bahrain parade?

Surviving F1 world champions keen to attend Bahrain GP anniversary event – although Nelson Piquet and Kimi Raikkonen may snub it.
Nelson Piquet and Kimi Raikkonen have yet to confirm if they will attend F1's 60th anniversary celebrations in Bahrain next weekend.

Organisers of the event announced plans to invite all 20 surviving F1 world champions to the F1 2010 season opener, which takes place on March 14, last month.

However while the likes of Mika Hakkinen, Damon Hill, Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell, Niki Lauda, Keke Rosberg, Alan Jones, Jody Scheckter, Mario Andretti, Emerson Fittipaldi, Jackie Stewart, Jack Brabham and John Surtees have all said they will attend, Piquet and Raikkonen have yet to make a decision.

"We expect the majority of the 20 plus cars to be displayed on track and, where possible, be driven by the original world champion," circuit advisor Martin Whitaker told the Gulf Daily News.

Meanwhile Jacques Villeneuve hopes of actually racing in Bahrain and going up against fellow champions, Michael Schumacher, Fernando Alonso, Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button have been dashed after Stefan GP was denied an entry slot [see separate story - click here].

“Of course it's disappointing,” the 1997 F1 world champion told speedtv.com. “The car and team looked very promising, but we always knew there was a risk without having the entry, and it was running late. So it's not a full surprise, but it's still disappointing.

“There was a lot of potential with the car. It was built and it was a full-blown project. It wasn't something started from scratch, and it was going to be competitive.

“It's a shame because it would have been a new team which could have run properly, but that's the way it is.”



Related Pictures

Click on relevant pic to enlarge
20.10.2006 Sao Paulo, Brazil, Nelson Piquet Snr. (BRA) - Formula 1 World Championship, Rd 18, Brazilian Grand Prix, Friday
Kimi Raikkonen (FIN) Ferrari F60, British F1, Silverstone, 19th-21st, June, 2009

Join the conversation - Add your comment

Please login or register before adding your comments.

Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.


Aussie - Unregistered

March 04, 2010 10:00 PM

CarCrazed knocked it on the head I think, Kimi does have a new job now, which might include say training and testing... :) This would be more important to him now than F1



© 1999 - 2016 Crash Media Group

The total or partial reproduction of text, photographs or illustrations is not permitted in any form.