The FIA has invited teams to express an interest in joining the F1 grid for the 2011 season having previously revealed that it would open up a new selection process to find new entrants into the sport.
The governing body revealed its plans in a statement on Friday, in which it said it also planned to identify one of more possible 'reserve' entrants who could fill any vacancies that may appear on the grid next year.
Any potential candidates must be capable 'of participating in the championship for 2011 and 2012' with the 'overall long-term interests of the championship' being used to determine who is chosen.
Details of the selection process will be revealed to those candidates to have registered a formal expression of interest by the deadline of 15 April, with candidates needing to lodge an administration fee of €1,000.
The FIA said that potential entrants would need to fill a range of criteria which would include 'the technical ability and resources of the team; the ability of the team to raise and maintain sufficient funding to allow participation; the team's experience and human resources and the FIA's assessment of the value that the candidate may bring to the Championship as a whole'.
The timing of this process will depend on the candidates' responses, but the FIA insisted it expects to have made a decision by July.