Fernando Alonso admits he is pleased to be in contention for the F1 title following the opening four races of the 2010 season.
Alonso secured victory in the season opener in Bahrain and although he hasn't visited the podium since, heads into his home event in Spain next weekend sitting third in the championship standings.
Although he admits that Ferrari could have gained more from the flyaway events, Alonso insisted that the fact he is right in the mix heading back to Europe is the important thing.
“We didn't always gain what we could have according to our potential, but we're fighting for the title and this is what counts more than anything else,” the Spaniard was quoted as saying by the official F1 website. “In the last two years after four races it was already clear that I didn't have a chance.
“I wasn't happy with things Sunday night in Shanghai, but now, with a cool head, I can be really satisfied with this start of the season.”
The only possible cause for concern so far this season for Alonso has been a number of engine issues suffered by Ferrari – which included a failure late on in Malaysia while dicing for points.
However, Alonso said he wasn't worried by the problems, which Ferrari has been working hard to eradicate.
“The problems with the engines? I'm not worried at all,” he said. “I know that the team is working hard to fix them and I'm convinced that I'll have a reliable and strong engine available, just as I know that they are giving it their all in Maranello to introduce several new solutions for the F10 for the Spanish Grand Prix.”