F1 »

China in 'good shape' for new deal

Shanghai 'looking good at the moment' to retain its F1 race as talks continue with F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone.

The organisers of the Chinese Grand Prix have said they are 'confident' they will be able to reach a new agreement with F1 boss, Bernie Ecclestone to keep the Shanghai International Circuit on the F1 calendar.

Although Ecclestone recently said the event will take place in 2011 and will continue on a 'rolling contract' for the foreseeable future [see separate story – click here], there has also been speculation that this year's event, which was won by Jenson Button, might be the last after officials revealed the city might not take up its option for another five years.

However, while nothing has yet been signed, Leon Sun of race promoters Juss Events, told Reuters at the end of last week that something should be sorted out pretty soon and definitely before the October deadline.

"It hasn't been announced because there are still a few technical issues to be sorted out but we're in good shape," Sun stated. "It looks good at the moment. We've got until October this year to sort it out but I'm confident that we'll have something before that.

"To have F1 [in China] is not only a commercial deal, it's also about the image of the country and the image of the city.

"Any time a decision like this is made in China it's not just the decision of one, it's the decision of the whole city. We feel the great support of the government.

"We are trying to build something. Obviously, compared to races in Europe we still have a long way to go to build the market. We improve every year though and I think Bernie appreciates and understands this."



Related Pictures

Click on relevant pic to enlarge
Timo Glock (D) Virgin Cosworth VR-01
Vitaly Petrov (RUS) Renault R30
Chinese GP, atmosphere

Join the conversation - Add your comment

Please login or register before adding your comments.

Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.


spaghettieddie

May 03, 2010 2:51 PM

We had 250,000 spectators at the inaugural race at Indy and between 165,000 to 185,000 thereafter. Why cant we get a race in the states again. Its a shame what happened at the 2005 race with Michelin. Piss me off!!!



© 1999 - 2016 Crash Media Group

The total or partial reproduction of text, photographs or illustrations is not permitted in any form.