Michael Schumacher has escaped penalty for his collision with Felipe Massa late in the Canadian Grand Prix.

The Mercedes driver was struggling for pace on worn tyres late in the race when Massa tried to make a move for position on the run to the chicane, with Schumacher moving across and forcing Massa onto the grass.

Massa damaged his front wing after tagging the back of the Mercedes and was forced to pit for a new nose, dropping him down to 15th place as a result. That ended a miserable race for the Brazilian, who had earlier collided with Tonio Liuzzi at the start.

"This was a horrible race, in which everything happened to me," he said. "At the first corner, I had an accident that put me out of the game in terms of fighting for a top place finish. I got a very good start, but I found myself sandwiched between Button and Liuzzi, who touched me and you all saw how it ended up. A shame, but these things happen.

"The car was very good today, as is usually the case in the races when compared to qualifying. After that, I was always in a lot of traffic and when I had at least managed to get back into the points, there was another collision, this time with Michael and that put an end to even that slight chance of points."

To make matters worse, Massa was handed a 20 second penalty for speeding in the pitlane while making his stop for a new nose, although it didn't affect his overall position in the race.

The incident on track ended with no action being taken by the stewards after they examined the information available and spoke to both Massa and Schumacher.

The stewards did however hand Toro Rosso driver Jaime Alguersuari a reprimand for an incident with Rubens Barrichello in the early stages of the race.

"I passed Alguersuari, but he came across me to cover his line too late as I was already there," Barrichello said. "He hit me with a big, 2g impact. The damage blocked my front left brake duct and when the temperatures climbed, I lost the pedal and had to let cars by until I could pit.

"Even after the stop, it took three laps for the brake pedal to come back, so the incident really destroyed our race and it is frustrating for the whole team as we certainly had a car capable of a good finish today."