F1 »

De la Rosa available for 2011

Pedro de la Rosa reveals he is 'available' for 2011 as he casts long-term doubts over his Sauber future
Pedro de la Rosa has cast doubt on his future with the Sauber team by revealing he is available to teams looking to firm up their 2011 driver line-ups.

The Spaniard endured another trying weekend in Canada as he was taken off at the start by Renault's Vitaly Petrov and then retired with an engine failure.

It marked de la Rosa's sixth failure to finish in eight races this season and means he is still the only driver aside from those racing for the three new teams still to score a point.

Despite his troubles, de la Rosa insisted that he is still enjoying being back in F1 in a race seat although he admitted that he doesn't know what will happen beyond the end of the year.

“I am enjoying it even though we have had a difficult start to the year,” he told BBC. “I believe we can recover it and no matter how bad it's been, it's better than testing.

"I feel young and for the future, if anyone wants me, I am available. I am usable, even if I have to go back testing or as a reserve driver, because I have had another year in Formula One racing. It will extend my career, simple as that."

De la Rosa also added that Sauber has to work 'in many areas' to improve its lacklustre showing so far this season, although a lack of running outside race weekends is making things tough.

"Our biggest handicap is a lack of testing as we have reliability issues as you can see,” he said. “It is difficult to develop the car and solve those issues without testing. We need a simulator to be honest and we don't have one. We had one at McLaren and they trusted what it showed and put in on the race car.”


Tagged as: Pedro de la Rosa , Sauber

Related Pictures

Click on relevant pic to enlarge
Qualifying, Pedro de la Rosa (ESP), BMW Sauber F1 Team, C29
Race, crash,  Pedro de la Rosa (ESP), BMW Sauber F1 Team, C29
Saturday, Pedro de la Rosa (ESP), BMW Sauber F1 Team, C29
27.11.2016 - Race, Marcus Ericsson (SUE) Sauber C34 and Fernando Alonso (ESP) McLaren Honda MP4-31
27.11.2016 - Race, Marcus Ericsson (SUE) Sauber C34
27.11.2016 - Race, Felipe Nasr (BRA) Sauber C34
27.11.2016 - Race, Felipe Nasr (BRA) Sauber C34 and Max Verstappen (NED) Red Bull Racing RB12
27.11.2016 - Race, Felipe Nasr (BRA) Sauber C34
27.11.2016 - Race, Marcus Ericsson (SUE) Sauber C34, Carlos Sainz Jr (ESP) Scuderia Toro Rosso STR11 and Max Verstappen (NED) Red Bull Racing RB12
27.11.2016 - Race, Marcus Ericsson (SUE) Sauber C34
27.11.2016 - Race, Felipe Nasr (BRA) Sauber C34 leads Romain Grosjean (FRA) Haas F1 Team VF-16
27.11.2016 - Race, Esteban Ocon (FRA) Manor Racing MRT05, Pascal Wehrlein (GER) Manor Racing MRT05 and Felipe Nasr (BRA) Sauber C34
27.11.2016 - Daniel Ricciardo (AUS) Red Bull Racing RB12, Daniil Kvyat (RUS) Scuderia Toro Rosso STR11 and Marcus Ericsson (SUE) Sauber C34
27.11.2016 - Romain Grosjean (FRA) Haas F1 Team VF-16, Felipe Nasr (BRA) Sauber C34 and Fernando Alonso (ESP) McLaren Honda MP4-31
27.11.2016 - Felipe Nasr (BRA) Sauber C34
26.11.2016 - Free Practice 3, Felipe Nasr (BRA) Sauber C34 and Daniel Ricciardo (AUS) Red Bull Racing RB12
26.11.2016 - Free Practice 3, Daniel Ricciardo (AUS) Red Bull Racing RB12, Jenson Button (GBR)  McLaren Honda MP4-31 and Kevin Magnussen (DEN) Renault Sport F1 Team RS16
26.11.2016 - Free Practice 3, Felipe Nasr (BRA) Sauber C34 and Kimi Raikkonen (FIN) Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

Join the conversation - Add your comment

Please login or register before adding your comments.

Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.


Taz - Unregistered

June 15, 2010 11:26 AM

Saw him on the F1 forum, was quite surprised as were the BBC team to see him touting for work on TV, one of the smaller teams such as Lotus should grab him, Truli is quicker but I reckon he'd be a better asset to them in terms of development and experience he brings from McLaren. Wonder if he'll see out the season at Sauber ?

MichaelE - Unregistered

June 15, 2010 4:12 PM

Available for what? I feel sorry for De La Rosa, but his career is all but over! F1 is a cruel sport! Once u reach your 30's (unsless you're really good) they're are looking to repalce u!!! :p



© 1999 - 2016 Crash Media Group

The total or partial reproduction of text, photographs or illustrations is not permitted in any form.