F1 »

Renault evaluating taking back control of its F1 team..?

Speculation is suggesting that having sold off 85 per cent of its F1 team to Genii Capital last winter, Renault is keen to regain full control of the Enstone-based outfit now that circumstances have changed...
According to reports, less than twelve months on from having sold a majority stake in its F1 team to Luxembourg-based investment consortium Genii Capital, Renault is now considering repurchasing control of the Enstone-based outfit.

Off the back of a bruising campaign that saw its name and international reputation dragged through the mud via the well-publicised shame and ignominy of the 'Singapore-gate' race-fixing scandal – allied to poor on-track results, the loss of double F1 World Champion Fernando Alonso to rival Ferrari and falling car sales as a result of the global credit crunch – Renault came close to pulling out of the top flight altogether at the end of 2009.

As it transpired, the French manufacturer ultimately elected to retain a 15 per cent share in the team that bears its name, whilst selling the other 85 per cent to Genii Capital owner Gérard Lopez – but a number of factors are now hinting at a volte-face.

According to Planet-F1, Genii Capital has not invested as much money into the team as had been hoped for, whilst the Oxfordshire concern's much-improved on-track form and results this season – from Alonso's replacement Robert Kubica in particular, with the Pole having claimed three podium finishes from the opening 13 grands prix of F1 2010 to-date – as well as a better financial situation on the road car side have perhaps combined to make Renault re-think its original decision.

The car maker has made no comment on the speculation.

Related Pictures

Click on relevant pic to enlarge
Gerard Lopez, Genii Capital, Renault R30 launch, Valencia, 2010 [pic credit: Renault F1]
Gerard Lopez, Genii Capital, Renault R30 launch, Valencia, 2010 [pic credit: Renault F1]
Race, Robert Kubica (POL), Renault F1 Team, R30 and Jenson Button (GBR), McLaren  Mercedes, MP4-25
Qualifying, Robert Kubica (POL), Renault F1 Team, R30
Qualifying, Robert Kubica (POL), Renault F1 Team, R30
Friday Practice 2, Robert Kubica (POL), Renault F1 Team, R30
Friday Practice 1, Vitaly Petrov (RUS), Renault F1 Team, R30
Friday Practice 1, Robert Kubica (POL), Renault F1 Team, R30
Friday Practice 2, Vitaly Petrov (RUS), Renault F1 Team, R30
Race, Robert Kubica (POL), Renault F1 Team, R30 and Michael Schumacher (GER), Mercedes GP  F1 Team, MGP W01
2014 FIA European F3 champion Esteban Ocon is to test with Lotus F1
12.10.2014- Race, Jenson Button (GBR) McLaren Mercedes MP4-29
12.10.2014- Race, the start
12.10.2014- Race, Sebastian Vettel (GER) Infiniti Red Bull Racing RB10
12.10.2014- Vitaly Mutko (RUS) Minister of Sport of the Russian Federation
12.10.2014- Race, Kimi Raikkonen (FIN) Scuderia Ferrari F14T
12.10.2014- Race, Kevin Magnussen (DEN) McLaren Mercedes MP4-29
12.10.2014- Race, Lewis Hamilton (GBR) Mercedes AMG F1 W05 in the press conference after the race

Join the conversation - Add your comment

Please login or register before adding your comments.

Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.


September 02, 2010 6:18 PM
Last Edited 1510 days ago

If Lopez wants to sell but Renault is not ready to buy or will not be able to keep up the current level of spending then there may be trouble ahead... But I hope not. Renault is a good investment now anyway, with top driver and engineers they will be real championship contenders for 2011.

Olek - Unregistered

September 02, 2010 5:36 PM

If Renault does buy back and puts in more resources, I think the fans can only benefit. With more competitive teams the better, and this will help "the show". We need this more than bringing back Briatorre to "help" promote "the show" at F1. It will also be intersting to see if Renault does produce a top car how Robert Kubica will perform as the "hunted" as opposed to his current role of the "hunter". Hopefully he will not be prone to mistakes like the one he had in the pits at Spa. GO Robert GO!

© 1999 - 2014 Crash Media Group

The total or partial reproduction of text, photographs or illustrations is not permitted in any form.