Paul di Resta will get his big break this year and compete with Force India, it is understood.
According to several reports, the 24-year-old, who won the DTM championship in 2010, will be paired with Adrian Sutil, with Vitantonio Liuzzi being squeezed out, even though he has a contract for F1 2011.
Indeed Liuzzi's manager, Peter Collins, has now conceded that while the Italian will definitely be in F1 this season, he might not actually get to race, an indication he might be demoted to a reserve role, ironically the same position di Resta held last season when he impressed the Silverstone-based outfit with his feedback during his eight Friday FP1 runs.
“I've no comment to make at this stage and it would be wrong for me to do so,” Collins told BBC Sport
“The position has been very clear for some time and it is best to let the team make any announcement. Tonio will be in F1 this year. Will he be racing? I don't know.”
There has been speculation about Liuzzi's position for months now and earlier this week FIF1 chairman and team principal Vijay Mallya said a decision on the teams driver line-up for 2011 would be made within a 'few days'. He also added that only some 'legal loose ends' – dissolving Liuzzi's contract perhaps? - need 'to be tied up' [see separate story - click here
Other than that though, the Force India F1 team has yet to make any official statement, while di Resta, and his manager, Anthony Hamilton, Lewis Hamilton's dad, are also keeping quiet.