Nico Hulkenberg insists that his full focus in 2011 will be on his role as test and reserve driver with Force India after ruling out a race drive elsewhere.
While the man he replaces, Paul di Resta, dovetailed his F1 duties with a title-winning DTM campaign, Hulkenberg insists his focus will be firmly on his new role as he aims to try and secure a return to a race seat for 2012.
The German found himself without a seat for this season after being dropped by Williams at the end of his maiden campaign.
“I will not compete in another series,” he said. “I will focus on my work at Force India only. I want to help the team as much as I can. We want to be within the best five teams in 2011 and I will try my best to assist on that. Personally I want to satisfy the team to be back in a race car in 2012.
“I hope I can give some useful feedback during race weekends with my experience from last year. Obviously I will be around and have my eyes and ears very open trying to help the team and drivers.”
Hulkenberg, who is set to drive in Friday practice at a number of events this season, had his first taste of Force India machinery last week in Valencia with a run in the VJM03 and he insisted he was happy with his run with the team.
“It was a very good day both for the team and for me personally,” he said. “We learned a lot about the new Pirelli tyres and for me it was a special moment to sit in a Force India race car for the very first time. The entire team was highly motivated and so the day was a big pleasure.
“Of course we still need some time to fit together perfectly, but the start was very promising and finding each other will not take too long. I can't wait to sit in the car and work with the team again.”