Robert Kubica is doing 'pretty well', as he continues his recovery following the accident he sustained on the Ronde di Andora rally at the start of this month.

Kubica, who suffered multiple injuries in the crash, including a partially severed right hand, went under the knife for the third time on Wednesday last week for treatment on his elbow. Although he was released from intensive care on Friday, he is now likely to remain in the rehabilitation department for at least two weeks his doctor said today.

"I saw him this morning around 8:30am," Dr Rossello told the official Lotus Renault GP website. "He is doing pretty well and his condition is positive considering what he has been through.

"The good news is that there have been no complications following all the surgery he has had recently.

"He can move his fingers slightly and has a little bit of sensitivity already in his hand. What is very important is that there is no sign of infection, which is the main concern.

"He no longer needs intensive care so he has begun the rehabilitation process. He is now in his own large room so that he is as comfortable as possible. He has already started some gentle hand exercises with the slight flexing of his fingers.

"He's no longer in pain and his psychological condition is pretty good. He's obviously keen to start the rehabilitation work as soon as possible."

So what happens now?

"For the next couple of weeks, he will stay here [in the rehabilitation department] so we can monitor his condition," Dr Rossello added.

"During that time there is still the possibility of infection and other complications so he will have the dressings on his hand changed every few days. After two weeks we will assess his next move."