Bernie Ecclestone has said that he would be happy to include both Bahrain and Turkey on future F1 calendars - provided that the problems surrounding each event can be sorted out.

The two venues have wildly differing issues to contend with, with Bahrain needing to quell a public uprising that threatens to escalate into violence at every turn and Turkey needing the sort of money that the Gulf kingdom possesses just to ensure that its race remains on the calendar.

Bahrain was due to have kicked off the 2011 campaign but, with protests taking place even as the preceding GP2 Asia Series attempted to resume, the decision was taken on both safety and humanitarian grounds to abandon the F1 weekend. Since then, there have been calls supporting both sides of the argument for reinstatement, and Bahrain has said that it would like to rejoin the schedule this year, but Ecclestone remains intent of seeing how the situation pans out, even to the extent of giving race organisers an extended deadline to confirm a return.

"If they are happy to have the race, I am sure we are happy to be there, but we would need a guarantee that there won't be problems," he told the official F1 website, "Right now, I don't know how anybody could guarantee that because it might be peaceful now, but who knows in the future?"

The ongoing saga of whether there will be a 20th round this year - and Bahrain could only conceivably be slipped in around the time of the Abu Dhabi race in November - will naturally have an effect on the teams and drivers as they not only try to plot their way to a title or two, but also on the more costly business of logistics, as Charles Braithwaite of leading law firm Collyer Bristow confirms.

"While many teams, drivers and F1 journalists have commented that the country should be allowed to focus on its people and politics, there is a Twitter campaign to 'bring back the Bahrain GP'," he revealed, "There are obviously commercial reasons as to why the FIA and Bahrain - as well as the various sponsors - would wish to bring the event back into the F1 calendar. What will be interesting is the impact on the other races in the calendar - for example, if the closing race in Brazil is postponed by a week to slot Bahrain into the season, then what is the effect this will have on all those sponsors, teams, drivers and fans who had planned for the race to go ahead on the scheduled date?

"There is obviously a lot for everyone involved in the sport to consider, but a decision will need to be taken quickly. It is clearly unsatisfactory for teams and drivers to have uncertainty as to the number of races in the championship, and therefore the number of potential points available."

Turkey, meanwhile, is facing the prospect that Sunday's race at Istanbul Park could be the last time F1 visits the shores of the Bosporus, with the government unwilling to meet the cost of hosting the F1 circus as the fee escalator kicks on.

Speaking to the official F1 website, Ecclestone insists that the sport did not want to give up on a fledgling venue - and one with a circuit among the best on the calendar - but insisted that he was unwilling to make concessions just to ensure its survival.

"We will be happy to race here for exactly the same fees that we get from other European races, like Hungary," he noted, "Other countries seem to believe that F1 is good for their country. If Turkey believes it doesn't need any good public relations, that's fine. It's up to them to make up their mind. I cannot do it for them. But, as I said before, I hope that we can clear everything up over the weekend. We don't want to leave here."

Speaking to the BBC before Sunday's seventh Turkish GP, however, Ecclestone appeared more willing to come to some arrangement to prolong the venue's involvement with the top flight.

"I hope the future is here for another 20 years," he insisted, "We'll try and do something, find a way around it. This is probably one of the nicest circuits in the world - everything is good about it - so I don't know why [it doesn't get the attendances it needs]. Maybe we haven't done enough to publicise the race, [but] I'm going to try and make sure [it stays on the schedule]."

Finally, asked about the concerns of taking F1 to Japan so soon after the devastating earthquake and tsunami that claimed thousands of lives, Ecclestone confirmed that the race at Suzuka was not in doubt.