The FIA is to move ahead with its ban on off-throttle blown diffusers from the British Grand Prix
at Silverstone next month.
According to the BBC
, the teams were informed of the FIA's decision in a letter on Saturday morning in Montreal informing them that the part would be banned from the British race onwards.
The FIA has initially planned to ban the part at the Spanish Grand Prix
only to give a stay of execution to teams that had argued that there was insufficient time to revise cars before the Catalunya race.
That in turn led to suggestions that teams without the part could launch an appeal in Monaco, although such an appeal – which was likely to come from Hispania – wasn't forthcoming.
As well as telling teams that the off-throttle diffusers will be banned from next month, technical delegate Charlie Whiting's letter is also reported to have told teams that stricter restrictions will be placed on teams next year – which could see blown diffusers banned altogether.
While the issues will be discussed at a meeting of F1's technical group next week, Mercedes team boss Ross Brawn suggested that the decision had already been taken and that nothing could be done to change Whiting's mind.
“Unless the teams can show a definite major problem with the approach that means it's not feasible, it will go ahead,” he said of the plans.