F1 »

Sauber paying price for blown exhaust

Ending development of a blown exhaust leaves Sauber on the back foot
Peter Sauber says his team is now paying the price for deciding to scrap development of a blown exhaust system for the 2011 F1 season.

The team elected to halt development of the part earlier this season when the FIA announced that it was to implement a ban, although that decision was then overturned and delayed until later in the year.

It means Sauber has now found itself at a disadvantage after other teams were able to make the most of having a working blown exhaust with the team boss insisting his outfit was paying the price for the FIA's decision to back-track on the initial ruling.

"Our system doesn't work properly," he told Sonntagsblick. "When they tried to ban it all in Barcelona, we decided to stop with all the expensive development.

"We are paying for it now."



Related Pictures

Click on relevant pic to enlarge
28.07.2011 Peter Sauber (SUI), Sauber F1 Team, Team Principal
25.03.2011- Friday Practice 1, Peter Sauber (SUI), Sauber F1 Team, Team Principal
09.09.2011- Press conference, Peter Sauber (SUI), Sauber F1 Team, Team Principal
2014 FIA European F3 champion Esteban Ocon is to test with Lotus F1
12.10.2014- Race, Adrian Sutil (GER) Sauber F1 Team C33
12.10.2014- Jean Todt (FRA) Fia President and Daniil Kvyat (RUS) Scuderia Toro Rosso STR9
12.10.2014- Race, Esteban Gutierrez (MEX) Sauber F1 Team C33
12.10.2014- Jean Todt (FRA) Fia President and  Graeme Lowdon (GBR) Marussia F1 Team Chief Executive Officer
12.10.2014- Jean Todt (FRA) Fia President
12.10.2014- Race, Adrian Sutil (GER) Sauber F1 Team C33
12.10.2014- Race, Esteban Gutierrez (MEX) Sauber F1 Team C33
12.10.2014-  Nico Hulkenberg (GER) Sahara Force India VJM07 and Adrian Sutil (GER) Sauber F1 Team C33
12.10.2014- Race, Adrian Sutil (GER) Sauber F1 Team C33
12.10.2014- Race, Adrian Sutil (GER) Sauber F1 Team C33
12.10.2014- Race, Esteban Gutierrez (MEX) Sauber F1 Team C33
12.10.2014- Race, Adrian Sutil (GER) Sauber F1 Team C33
12.10.2014- Race, Adrian Sutil (GER) Sauber F1 Team C33
12.10.2014- Race, Esteban Gutierrez (MEX) Sauber F1 Team C33

Join the conversation - Add your comment

Please login or register before adding your comments.

Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.


James - Unregistered

September 13, 2011 9:35 AM

Although that is bad news for the rest of this season, it provides hope for the next one, as a competitive disadvantage of theirs will be erased with the blown diffuser ban. Hopefully this means Sauber will be more competitive next season as their two drivers deserve a car that can allow them to challenge higher up.



© 1999 - 2014 Crash Media Group

The total or partial reproduction of text, photographs or illustrations is not permitted in any form.