Red Bull Racing has moved to deny reports in the German press which suggested that the team was concered about possible food contamination during its time in Japan for this weekends race at Suzuka.
A report by Bild
over the weekend had said that the team was going to ship its own food to Japan because it was worried about the impact of the nuclear crisis at the Fukushima power plant, which was damaged in the earthquake and tsunami that struck Japan back in March.
That report came despite the fact that Suzuka is further from Fukushima that Twin Ring Motegi, which has hosted both IndyCar and MotoGP events without problem since the disaster earlier this year.
Red Bull has now moved to quash the reports in a statement, in which it insisted it would be using Japanese produce during its time in the country and denied that team members had been told not to eat out during their stay.
“Red Bull Racing will be using its own catering operation in Japan, as it does for all 19 Grands Prix,” the statement read. “For each race, Red Bull
Racing uses both local and international produce and this race will be no different.
“Red Bull Racing has worked with local Japanese suppliers, such as big retailers, supermarkets and bakeries, in order to obtain good, local produce, which we will serve throughout the weekend. These same local suppliers will also provide produce from overseas, such as high-quality meat from Australia, which is the same as in previous years. All produce for this weekend has been certified as clean.
“Rumours that we will not use produce from Japan during this Grand Prix and that we have told staff not to eat out during their stay are incorrect. Sebastian [Vettel] has been in Tokyo since Tuesday morning and many of the team will spend recreational time in Japan after the race.
“The Japanese Grand Prix
remains a highlight of the season and one of the reasons for this is the incredible support and enthusiasm we get from the Japanese fans. We're looking forward to an exciting grand prix this weekend.”