Karun Chandhok admits he is disappointed at missing the chance to compete in his home round of the F1 season after Team Lotus elected to stick with Heikki Kovalainen
and Jarno Trulli
for the inaugural Indian Grand Prix.
Chandhok was widely expected to replace Trulli for the event in what would have been a huge boost to the event, given Chandhok's popularity in his home country.
However, with the team fighting to secure tenth in the constructors' championship, the decision has been taken to instead stick with its regular drivers given the trouble Chandhok has faced in his Friday outings so far this season.
While he will still appear on track in Friday practice, Chandhok admitted he was disappointed at not getting the chance to race but said he could understand the decision taken by the team with just three races left this season.
“I am very excited about driving at the new Buddh International Circuit
in FP1 in front of my home crowd and while I am obviously disappointed that I won't have the chance to race on Sunday, I accept the team's decision to opt for the experience and talent they have at their disposal with Jarno and Heikki,” he said.
“This is a team that is still young, still growing, and I know that they have to do their best to secure their future in the sport – sometimes the hard decisions have to be made, and in this case it must have been a very difficult choice, but I understand that this isn't about me. It's about the team and everything the 254 people on track and back at the factory are doing to build for the future.
“For me, I believe that I have grown as a driver in and out of the car this year with my role in the Friday practice sessions and I'm looking forward to playing my part in helping the team have another strong weekend on track.”