Renault drivers Vitaly Petrov and Bruno Senna insist they aren't worried by the announcement that Romain Grosjean will take part in Friday practice during the final two events of the 2011 season.

Having wrapped up the GP2 title, Grosjean will now drive the R31 in both Abu Dhabi and Brazil- replacing Senna in FP1 at Yas Marina and Petrov at Interlagos in a move team boss Eric Boullier said will make the Franco-Swiss racer a 'better driver' [See separate story HERE].

Speculation has suggested for some time that Grosjean is being lined up for a return to an F1 race seat next season after his part campaign back in 2009, but Petrov insisted he wasn't worried about his drive with a contract in place already for 2012.

"I'm comfortable, I have my place," he told ESPN. "I think it's a very good opportunity for Romain, to give him some laps to drive. At least we know the track so it's not a big problem, if it had happened in India then yes it would be a bigger problem.

"I think it's a good chance for him to try and then the team can decide whether he is good or not. At least he can learn what to do."

Senna meanwhile, who replaced Nick Heidfeld in a race seat at Spa having signed up a test and reserve driver at the start of the year, welcomed the extra competition as he too hopes to secure a race seat for 2012 - with question marks still existing over Robert Kubica after his accident earlier in the year.

"I think out of the Friday losses I'm taking the smaller hit because Abu Dhabi will be very dirty to start with on Friday," he said. "So it should be OK for me to jump in the car in the afternoon and still get some good work done with the guys. It's competition, but competition is there every time you're in the car in Formula One so there is nothing wrong with it."

Comments

Join the conversation - Add your comment

Please login or register to add your comment