Jarno Trulli says he isn't concerned about rumours doing the rounds surrounding his F1 seat with Caterham, insisting that he has no reason to worry given he has a contract for the 2012 season.

The Italian signed a contract extension last season with the former Team Lotus outfit and was named by the team as one of its two race drivers when the FIA published its entry list for the year ahead.

However, rumours have suggested that Trulli's place alongside Heikki Kovalainen could be at risk, with ousted Renault driver Vitaly Petrov having been linked to his drive.

Speaking to Gazetta dello Sport, Trulli said he wasn't paying any notice to the rumours currently doing the rounds and was only focused on the job at hand.

"I have a contract with Caterham and that is that," he said. "I don't know anything about any rumours and the team has not said anything. On Monday I am in the factory for my seat fitting, everything is normal. People keep saying things about NASCAR or Le Mans, but F1 is all I am talking about."

Having endured two difficult seasons with the team since joining when Toyota left the sport, Trulli added that he confident of a step forward in performance during 2012.

"I expect things to be better than in 2011," he said. "The base is better, there's more experience, resources, people. We start on the hunt for that championship point we wanted last year and with the objective to fight regularly in the midfield.

"People just don't realise how tough it is to begin from zero. I used to race for Minardi but this is much harder; you just can't make mistakes because they have consequences. But I am confident that we can continue to make improvements over the course of the year."