Red Bull Racing's Mark Webber has said he has no plans to hang up his helmet at the end of this year.
Webber will start his eleventh season at the very pinnacle of the sport next month, when F1 2012 gets underway in front of his home fans in Australia, and while he is under pressure after being comprehensively outperformed by his team-mate, Sebastian Vettel in 2011, the 35-year-old told Australia's The Sunday Age
that he is 'not contemplating' retirement anytime soon.
“Not at all, [although] you know, I've been through enough on and off the track to know that nothing is forever,” he said.
“[According to the media, however,] I was supposed to be replaced by Kimi [Raikkonen] four years ago!”
Despite that though, Webber is honest enough to know, that there is no hiding the fact 2011 was disappointing.
“I clearly got outperformed last year, there were areas where I could have done a better job,” he added.
“It was a tough start to the year I think, that makes it difficult to roll out of that mid-season and come to [the end] ... but, again, it's those old lessons of operating at this level, you know you just have no choice, you've just got to get back on the horse, and get on with it.”
Finishing with victory in Brazil though sent him into the winter on a high and he is feeling really rejuvenated now: “I think it's one of the best breaks I've had,” he continued, “it was just a really good break and you know sometimes they don't always go like that.
“Obviously, on the back of 2010 when I didn't win the championship that was a different sort of winter getting your head around that, and then the previous winters before that I was having surgery on the leg.
“So this was a real first nice winter, saying, like, let's pull it all together and come back refreshed, you just feel refreshed, that's the most important thing,” he concluded.