F1 »

Todt speaks out in favour of Bahrain GP

FIA President Jean Todt has added his support for the Bahrain Grand Prix, insisting that the media reports do not convey what F1 teams and personnel are seeing on the ground.
The president of the FIA, Jean Todt, has insisted that it was the right call for the F1 Grand Prix of Bahrain to go ahead, despite civil unrest in parts of the country.

Todt had been criticised for not speaking publicly about the decision to go ahead with Sunday's race until just a few days ago, but on Saturday in a meeting with a select group of journalists at the Bahrain International Circuit in Sakhir, he came out forcefully in favour of the race going ahead despite the protests planned for this weekend.

"Yes, there are certain problems, yes there are some protests - because it is a democratic country and protests are allowed," he said. "It allows people who want to protest to give their voice, and it happens all over the world. There are some protests in our county where we live, and sometimes we don't feel comfortable to go – because there can be some protests.

"If there is a protest, can there be some consequences? We know, if you go to any soccer game anywhere in the world, including Europe, there are some consequences when there is a protest ... And you know, very often, protest does mean damaging and hurting people: it is one possibility of expressing yourself," he said. "It is something that can happen, but it does not mean we have to stop sport moving along."

Of more immediate concern to Todt as FIA president is whether the image and reputation of F1 itself is being undermined by the holding of the Bahrain Grand Prix in such controversial circumstances.

"I feel F1 is very strong, I think it is a very strong brand," said Todt. "[Although] to say there has not been some controversy around what has happened in Bahrain would be wrong from my side," he conceded.

"Do you think the promoters, if they would have felt it was very bad for their country, they would have encouraged F1 to come here?" he asked. "They would not have asked the commercial rights-holder, Bernie Ecclestone, in the first place to put Bahrain on the calendar."

Todt went on to question the accuracy of the situation of Bahrain painted by the recent news coverage. "I sympathise with people who have some emotions, but we have to deal with facts.

"I am not sure that all that has been reported corresponds to the reality of what is happening in this country," stated Todt. "I respect the media, I respect what they write, but it is not what I have seen and what I was told by a lot of people to whom I have been talking."




Tagged as: FIA , Jean Todt , Bahrain , Sakhir , media

Related Pictures

Click on relevant pic to enlarge
21.04.2012- Jean Todt (FRA), President FIA
21.04.2012- Jean Todt (FRA), President FIA
21.04.2012.- Qualifying, Jean Todt (FRA), President FIA
21.04.2012- Free Practice 3, Jean Todt (FRA), President FIA
Jean-Eric Vergne (FRA) Scuderia Toro Rosso STR9
Jean-Eric Vergne (FRA) Scuderia Toro Rosso STR9
Romain Grosjean (FRA) Lotus F1 Team E22 and Jean-Eric Vergne (FRA) Scuderia Toro Rosso STR9
Romain Grosjean (FRA) Lotus F1 Team E22 and Jean-Eric Vergne (FRA) Scuderia Toro Rosso STR9
Marussia, Sauber
Max Verstappen becomes Red Bull Junior   [pic courtesy Red Bull media]
Max Verstappen becomes Red Bull Junior   [pic courtesy Red Bull media]
27.07.2014- Race, Jean-Eric Vergne (FRA) Scuderia Toro Rosso STR9
27.07.2014- Race, Pastor Maldonado (VEN) Lotus F1 Team E22 leads Jean-Eric Vergne (FRA) Scuderia Toro Rosso STR9
27.07.2014- Race, Jean-Eric Vergne (FRA) Scuderia Toro Rosso STR9 leads Lewis Hamilton (GBR) Mercedes AMG F1 W05
27.07.2014- Race, Fernando Alonso (ESP) Scuderia Ferrari F14-T leads Jean-Eric Vergne (FRA) Scuderia Toro Rosso STR9
27.07.2014- Race, Jean-Eric Vergne (FRA) Scuderia Toro Rosso STR9
27.07.2014- Race, Jean-Eric Vergne (FRA) Scuderia Toro Rosso STR9 leads Daniel Ricciardo (AUS) Red Bull Racing RB10
27.07.2014- Race, Fernando Alonso (ESP) Scuderia Ferrari F14-T leads Jean-Eric Vergne (FRA) Scuderia Toro Rosso STR9

Join the conversation - Add your comment

Please login or register before adding your comments.

Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.


Lar - Unregistered

April 21, 2012 7:24 PM

Of course Tod and Breni wanted to go ahead it means millions to their personal wealth .. last year was cancel by the so called government / royal family so the boys still got their money .. if the FIA cancelled this year .. no money for berni and Todd ... lets not fool ourselves Berni and Todd dont care for the sport .. fans .. Drivers .. all they care for is money and if that fact was ever in doubt it has been clarified this weekend ... for Todd to say he dosent know what is gonin on in Baharin and to call it a demoricy is an insult to everyone ... and finally a man died today so berni and Jean Todd can grow their personal wealth .. say's a lot about the indivudals .. time for fans and sponsers to speak ...



© 1999 - 2014 Crash Media Group

The total or partial reproduction of text, photographs or illustrations is not permitted in any form.