F1 »

Vettel warned to wind down conspiracy claim

Sebastian Vettel and Helmut Marko have been warned not to persist with claims that they were deliberately robbed of victory in Valencia.

Sebastian Vettel's claim that the safety car that interrupted Sunday's European Grand Prix was somehow aimed at derailing what appeared to be a runaway win has been panned by fellow countryman Hans-Joachim Stuck.

Both Vettel and Red Bull motorsport advisor Helmut Marko were quoted in certain sections of the German media as believing that there had been no concrete basis for the safety car deployment on lap 28 of the race in Valencia, despite Toro Rosso driver Jean-Eric Vergne's misguided move on Caterham rival Heikki Kovalainen had left debris from both cars spread over the circuit.

Vettel apparently claimed that the neutralisation of the race, when he held a near 20-second lead, was called not just to clear the shards of carbon-fibre but also 'to break our neck' in a NASCAR-style attempt at reinfusing some excitement into the proceedings. The double world champion was adamant that running at reduced pace - and increased temperatures - led to his eventual retirement one lap after the restart.

“It just went to sh*t,” Vettel told Germany's Sky channel, “I think it was clear to see that [until then] we were pulling away without problems.

“I think we could have been spared the safety car period, [but] I think the reason is clear. I don't think there was a danger. There were pieces on the track earlier [following the collision involving Bruno Senna and Kamui Kobayashi] and it was acceptable, [so] I think, in a sense, the safety car was to break our neck."

Marko made reference to NASCAR's policy of 'throwing a yellow' in a bid to spice up the show, which has led to the suspicion that cautions are called for 'phantom' debris, but has joined Vettel in being warned to cool his claims for fear of attracting the wrath of the FIA.

“Sebastian Vettel should learn to be a good loser,” former F1 and sportscar ace Stuck told Germany's Yahoo Eurosport, “It was clear there was debris on the circuit, representing a danger of puncture to the other cars. For that reason, the safety car was justified."

Stuck also suggested that any car that failed because it was running behind the safety car would be because 'it is designed wrong'.

Sky's Marc Surer, himself a former F1 racer, also claimed that there could be no basis for Vettel's claims, insisting that the call had been the right one, if only for the safety for the trackworkers attempting to clear the circuit.



Related Pictures

Click on relevant pic to enlarge
13.04.2012 - Free practice 2, Helmut Marko (AUT), Red Bull Racing, Red Bull Advisor
24.06.2012- Race, Sebastian Vettel (GER) Red Bull Racing RB8 retires from the race with Christian Horner (GBR), Red Bull Racing, Sporting Director
24.06.2012- Race, Sebastian Vettel (GER) Red Bull Racing RB8 retires from the race
24.06.2012- Race, Sebastian Vettel (GER) Red Bull Racing RB8 retires from the race
21.09.2014 - Race, 2nd position Sebastian Vettel (GER) Red Bull Racing RB10
21.09.2014 - Race, 3rd position Daniel Ricciardo (AUS) Red Bull Racing RB10
21.09.2014 - Race, 2nd position Sebastian Vettel (GER) Red Bull Racing RB10
21.09.2014 - Race, Pit stop, Daniel Ricciardo (AUS) Red Bull Racing RB10
21.09.2014 - Race, Esteban Gutierrez (MEX), Sauber F1 Team C33, Kimi Raikkonen (FIN) Scuderia Ferrari F14-T and Felipe Massa (BRA) Williams F1 Team FW36
21.09.2014 - Race, Sergio Perez (MEX) Sahara Force India F1 VJM07 and Valtteri Bottas (FIN) Williams F1 Team FW36
21.09.2014 - Race, Jules Bianchi (FRA) Marussia F1 Team MR03 and Daniil Kvyat (RUS) Scuderia Toro Rosso STR9
21.09.2014 - Race, Jean-Eric Vergne (FRA) Scuderia Toro Rosso STR9 leads Jules Bianchi (FRA) Marussia F1 Team MR03
21.09.2014 - Race, Sergio Perez (MEX) Sahara Force India F1 VJM07
21.09.2014 - Race, Nico Hulkenberg (GER) Sahara Force India F1 VJM07
21.09.2014 - Race, Kimi Raikkonen (FIN) Scuderia Ferrari F14-T
21.09.2014 - Race, Nico Rosberg (GER) Mercedes AMG F1 W05
21.09.2014 - Race, Fernando Alonso (ESP) Scuderia Ferrari F14-T
21.09.2014 - Race, Daniil Kvyat (RUS) Scuderia Toro Rosso STR9 and Jean-Eric Vergne (FRA) Scuderia Toro Rosso STR9

Join the conversation - Add your comment

Please login or register before adding your comments.

Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.




© 1999 - 2014 Crash Media Group

The total or partial reproduction of text, photographs or illustrations is not permitted in any form.