» BACK TO CRASH.NET

Crash.Net F1 News

De Villota released from hospital

21 July 2012

Maria de Villota has been released from hospital to return to Spain, just over a fortnight after her accident while testing for the Marussia team at Duxford Airfield.

The Spaniard was taking part in a straight-line aero test when she was involved in a collision with a team truck on returning to the makeshift pits, with her car making contact with the tail lift of the transporter.

De Villota suffered serious head and facial injuries in the accident and lost her right eye despite the best efforts of medical teams at Addenbrooke's Hospital, where she has been undergoing treatment since 3 July.

The team has now confirmed that de Villota has been released from hospital to return back to Spain, where she will now continue her recovery.

“Maria left Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge yesterday (20 July) and returned directly to Spain,” the team said in its latest statement. “Over the course of the past two weeks, Maria has made significant progress. More comfortable and familiar surroundings, plus the support of her wider family and friends, will undoubtedly provide a more conducive environment in which Maria can commence the next phase of her recovery.

“The Marussia F1 Team have remained in close contact with the medical team at Addenbrooke's Hospital since Maria's admittance and would like to express their gratitude for the remarkable care and attention that she has received there.

“The Marussia F1 Team - the staff, race drivers Timo Glock and Charles Pic, and all those associated with the Team - wish Maria well with the next stage of her recovery. The management team will continue to liaise closely with Maria and her family and provide any assistance possible during the coming months.”

Marussia has previously stated that the incident wasn't down to car problems, with team boss John Booth revealing in Friday's FIA press conference at Hockenheim that the wider investigations into the cause of the accident were still ongoing.

“We had two priorities immediately after the accident, first being Maria's welfare of course, that was foremost in our minds,” he said. “The second was to start to investigate the cause and clear the car of any part of that of course, with Silverstone coming up. We established that but then revisited our findings straight after Silverstone and now we're 100 per cent confident that the car was not to blame in the slightest.

“As for the wider investigation, that is ongoing and will be a very long process, as in England it has to be, it's taken very seriously there, as you know. It will be some time before we know the final outcome. It would inappropriate for me to comment any further on that.”


» BACK TO CRASH.NET