1 January 2013
Crash.net F1 Driver of the Year vote: Full results
You've seen the top ten in detail, but where did the rest figure in your assessment of the 2012 F1 season?
Having counted down the top ten drivers from our F1 poll between Christmas and the start of the new year, it is time to reveal the complete list covering all 25 pilots to have appeared in a grand prix this season.
In all, over 70,000 votes were cast by Crash.net readers, recognising the efforts put in on the track by including the majority of the biggest names in the top ten. Emphasising heart and determination over everything, you selected Ferrari's Fernando Alonso as your number one for 2012, while world champion – three-time world champion – Sebastian Vettel didn't even make the top three as both Kimi Raikkonen and Lewis Hamilton were voted in above him.
Last year's winner, Jenson Button, was this year's fifth ranked choice, putting him ahead of surprise package Nico Hulkenberg and RBR's Mark Webber, who again finished seventh, for the second time in succession after winning out in 2010. Both Sauber drivers made the top ten, which makes the fact that Kamui Kobayashi – who appeared in the leading group in 2011 as well – is missing out on a drive for next year all the more perplexing.
Just as Hamilton finished outside the top ten last year, there were a few notable omissions this time around, including Nico Rosberg and Pastor Maldonado – the Chinese and Spanish GP winners, let's not forget – as well as last year's number four Paul di Resta, and seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher.
Heikki Kovalainen was the best rated of the 'division three' drivers, ending up above Toro Rosso's Daniel Ricciardo and Jean-Eric Vergne, Williams' Bruno Senna and Lotus' Romain Grosjean, the Frenchman no doubt paying for his sometimes erratic displays. Such were HRT's lamentable results, meanwhile, Jerome d'Ambrosio came in ahead of both Pedro de la Rosa and Narain Karthikeyan despite make a lone appearance as replacement for the suspended Grosjean at Monza…..
So, for the record, here is the complete result for the 2012 poll…..
1. Fernando Alonso (Scuderia Ferrari) - rated 8.736
2. Kimi Raikkonen (Lotus F1) - rated 8.527
3. Lewis Hamilton (Vodafone McLaren Mercedes) - rated 7.608
4. Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull Racing) - rated 7.467
5. Jenson Button (Vodafone McLaren Mercedes) - rated 6.609
6. Nico Hulkenberg (Sahara Force India F1) - rated 6.254
7. Mark Webber (Red Bull Racing) - rated 6.021
8. Sergio Perez (Sauber F1) - rated 5.875
9. Felipe Massa (Scuderia Ferrari) - rated 5.597
10. Kamui Kobayashi (Sauber F1) - rated 5.552
11. Nico Rosberg (Mercedes AMG Petronas F1) - rated 5.238
12. Paul di Resta (Sahara Force India F1) - rated 5.099
13. Pastor Maldonado (Williams F1) - rated 5.027
14. Michael Schumacher (Mercedes AMG Petronas F1) - rated 4.893
15. Heikki Kovalainen (Caterham F1) - rated 4.873
16. Daniel Ricciardo (Scuderia Toro Rosso) - rated 4.425
17. Bruno Senna (Williams F1) - rated 4.327
18. Romain Grosjean (Lotus F1) - rated 4.327
19. Jean-Eric Vergne (Scuderia Toro Rosso) - rated 4.132
20. Timo Glock (Marussia F1) - rated 4.055
21. Vitaly Petrov (Caterham F1) - rated 3.984
22. Charles Pic (Marussia F1) - rated 3.948
23. Jerome d'Ambrosio (Lotus F1) - rated 3.627
24. Pedro de la Rosa (HRT F1) - rated 3.489
25. Narain Karthikeyan (HRT F1) - rated 2.685
Crash.net F1 Driver of the Year - previous winners:
2011 Jenson Button
2010 Mark Webber
2009 Sebastian Vettel
2008 Sebastian Vettel
Do you agree with the poll results? If not, why not? Leave your comments below...
Click on relevant pic to enlarge
the conversation - Add your comment
Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.