Commercial rights holder Bernie Ecclestone
has revealed that he questioned whether or not the Marussia team would continue into the 2013 F1 season.
HRT closed its doors over the winter to leave F1 with just eleven teams left on the grid, with Ecclestone saying he also felt that Marussia could have followed suit.
The Russian owned team was forced to part company with driver Timo Glock
citing financial reasons, with Max Chilton and Luiz Razia teamed together for 2013, while the new car was launched in Spain last week with little in the way of sponsorship visible.
With that in mind, Ecclestone admitted he had been concerned about the future of the team during the off-season but now felt that each team was 'safe' with all eleven ready for the year ahead.
“On Thursday I was bringing the teams up to speed with the new Concorde Agreement,” he told Autoweek
. “They are all safe. We have got a deal with them all, including Marussia. We are continuing with Marussia. I thought they were going to go but they are not.”
While Marussia is amongst those teams seeking new investors to help it move forwards, Ecclestone added that the new Concorde Agreement was going to provide teams with a large financial boost.
“They've all got more money than God,” he said.