F1 »

Force India 'opts for Sutil' - reports

Reports in the European and Indian media suggest that Force India has elected to hand Adrian Sutil a second chance in F1 ahead of Jules Bianchi.
German F1 news site Sports Bild is reporting that Force India has decided to give Adrian Sutil the second race seat with the team for 2013.

The 30-year-old German driver tested for the team last week at the Circuit de Catalunya just outside Barcelona in Spain. Also testing with the team at the venue was French driver Jules Bianchi, who was himself hoping for an early elevation to the F1 starting grid with the team in 2013.

Sutil posted the better times, and even outpaced Force India's confirmed driver Paul di Resta in the test session, paving the way for his possible return to the squad. Sutil has since been said to be at work in the McLaren race simulator, as Force India has a deal with the Woking team to access some of the resources at the McLaren Technology Centre.

"As of Thursday, he will be in action for the last pre-season test in Barcelona," reported the German site. "On 17 March in Australia, he will race a Grand Prix for the first time since Brazil 2011."

La Parisien newspaper and the Times of India also carried reports that Sutil has won the race seat, citing Bianchi's manager Nicolas Todt as confirming the latest reports. Todt, whose father Jean is the FIA president, added that he did not know whether Force India would now retain Bianchi as their third driver in that event.

However, the Sports Bild reports are not officially confirmed at this time and still very much a matter of speculation, with the original report even saying that Sutil's manager Manfred Zimmermann has since denied the latest rumours.

"Nothing has been finalised yet," Zimmermann told German news agency SID. "We are still hoping and waiting for a confirmation."

Sutil drove for Force India for four seasons and 90 Grand Prix races from 2008 until 2011, but sat out last year's championship following an incident in a Shanghai nightclub after the 2011 Chinese Grand Prix, which saw him involved in an alternation with Genii Capital CEO Eric Lux. Lux was left with a cut neck from a broken champagne glass, and although Sutil subsequently apologised Lux pressed charges and Sutil was fined and handed a suspended 18-month prison sentence.

Ultimately the decision might not have had as much to do with the Catalunya showdown with Bianchi as it did with money and engine deals, with Sutil able to being more money to the team than Bianchi.




Related Pictures

Click on relevant pic to enlarge
Adrian Sutil (GER), Sahara Force India F1 Team VJM06
Adrian Sutil (GER) Sahara Force India VJM06. 21.02.2013.
Adrian Sutil (GER) Sahara Force India VJM06. 21.02.2013.
Jules Bianchi (FRA) Sahara Force India F1. 08.02.2013.
Adrian Sutil (GER) Sahara Force India F1. 21.02.2013.
12.10.2014- Race, Jenson Button (GBR) McLaren Mercedes MP4-29
12.10.2014- Race, Kimi Raikkonen (FIN) Scuderia Ferrari F14T
12.10.2014- Race, Kevin Magnussen (DEN) McLaren Mercedes MP4-29
12.10.2014- Race, Lewis Hamilton (GBR) Mercedes AMG F1 W05 in the press conference after the race
12.10.2014- Race, Lewis Hamilton (GBR) Mercedes AMG F1 W05 celebrates Manufactor title of Mercedes with the team
12.10.2014- Race, Fernando Alonso (ESP) Scuderia Ferrari F14T
12.10.2014- Race, Lewis Hamilton (GBR) Mercedes AMG F1 W05
12.10.2014- Max Chilton (GBR), Marussia F1 Team MR03 and all the Marussia F1 Team show a panel for Jules Bianchi (FRA) Marussia F1 Team MR03
12.10.2014- Race, Nico Rosberg (GER) Mercedes AMG F1 W05
12.10.2014- Fernando Alonso (ESP) Scuderia Ferrari F14T, Kimi Raikkonen (FIN) Scuderia Ferrari F14T, Marco Mattiacci (ITA) Team Principal, Scuderia Ferrari and the Ferrari F1 team show a panel for Jules Bianchi (FRA) Marussia F1 Team MR03
12.10.2014- Race, Adrian Sutil (GER) Sauber F1 Team C33
12.10.2014- Race, Lewis Hamilton (GBR) Mercedes AMG F1 W05 in the press conference after the race
12.10.2014- Race, Lewis Hamilton (GBR) Mercedes AMG F1 W05

Join the conversation - Add your comment

Please login or register before adding your comments.

Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.


Chamby - Unregistered

February 27, 2013 5:38 PM

Its funny, usually I complain about established drivers losing seats to new younger drivers, yet this here is the exception. I will never understand why a team would re-hire the driver they dropped a year ago. (except for money, "cash-Strapped" team needs money, but even then, it still rings silly to me)



© 1999 - 2014 Crash Media Group

The total or partial reproduction of text, photographs or illustrations is not permitted in any form.