F1 »

Force India comfortable returning to Bahrain

Force India will have no qualms about returning to Bahrain, despite a brush with anti-government protests ahead of last year's race.

Force India deputy team principal Bob Fernley is confident that he will not have to face the F1 media and explain another awkward political situation next weekend.

The Briton was in the firing line a year ago when his squad opted to leave the circuit ahead of schedule when one of its crew buses was hit by a petrol bomb after getting caught up in anti-government protests on its way home from the Sakhir circuit. Despite promises for further unrest up to and around next weekend's Bahrain race, however, Fernley is not expecting Force India to be caught up in the problems.

"Lightning doesn't strike twice in the same place ... I am not expecting any issues at all," he told Reuters after practice at this weekend's Chinese Grand Prix, “There's bound to be something, [and] you'd be a bit foolish to think there's not going to be some sort of protest.”

Two members of the Force India staff were sufficiently spooked to head home, while the remainder of the team were subject to a curfew designed to to ensure all were back at their hotel before night fell after qualifying and the race.

"Once we'd got over that initial hiccup, we were fine,” Fernley insisted, “It was just that initial part that caused the problems. Once it was dealt with and we settled everything down again, the weekend went to plan for us. [The self-imposed curfew] was a reaction to emotional needs which we had to deal with as a team - it was important we made sure everyone felt comfortable and that we had their interests at heart as a team."

Revealing that Force India may even travel to Bahrain with an increased level of staffing, Fernley and his squad look certain to witness an escalation of anti-government protests once they arrive in Manama, amid reports that security forces have already had to deal with pockets of unrest in the build-up to the race weekend.

Friday, meanwhile, saw thousands of Bahrainis stage a peaceful march in opposition to the grand prix, and the ruling family's ties to it. Waving the national flag, the crowd shouted their displeasure at king Hamad bin Issa al-Khalifa and prime minister Sheikh Khalifa bin Salman al-Khalifa as they demonstrated in the village of al-Aali, close to the capital.

"The grand prix is used by the regime to advertise that there is nothing wrong in Bahrain," one protestor told Reuters, "We are showing the world that we are still people with demands."




Related Pictures

Click on relevant pic to enlarge
20.04.2012-  Free Practice 2, Bernie Ecclestone (GBR), President and CEO of Formula One Management  and Force India staff
20.04.2012-  Free Practice 2, Garage of Force India
21.04.2012- Nico Hulkenberg (GER) Sahara Force India F1 Team VJM05
19.04.2012- Bahrain and F1 flags
Robert Fernley (GBR) Sahara Force India F1 Team Deputy Team Principal. 21.02.2013.
24.08.2014- Race, Nico Hulkenberg (GER) Sahara Force India F1 VJM07 and Jules Bianchi (FRA) Marussia F1 Team MR03
24.08.2014- Sergio Perez (MEX) Sahara Force India F1 VJM07
24.08.2014-Race, Sergio Perez (MEX) Sahara Force India F1 VJM07 leads Nico Rosberg (GER) Mercedes AMG F1 W05
24.08.2014- Race, Nico Hulkenberg (GER) Sahara Force India F1 VJM07
24.08.2014- Race, Nico Hulkenberg (GER) Sahara Force India F1 VJM07
24.08.2014- Race, Nico Hulkenberg (GER) Sahara Force India F1 VJM07
24.08.2014- Race, Sergio Perez (MEX) Sahara Force India F1 VJM07
24.08.2014- Race, Nico Hulkenberg (GER) Sahara Force India F1 VJM07
24.08.2014- Race, Sergio Perez (MEX) Sahara Force India F1 VJM07
23.08.2014- Qualifying, Sergio Perez (MEX) Sahara Force India F1 VJM07
23.08.2014- Qualifying, Nico Hulkenberg (GER) Sahara Force India F1 VJM07
23.08.2014- Qualifying, Sergio Perez (MEX) Sahara Force India F1 VJM07
23.08.2014- Qualifying, Sergio Perez (MEX) Sahara Force India F1 VJM07

Join the conversation - Add your comment

Please login or register before adding your comments.

Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.


Caroline - Unregistered

April 13, 2013 10:49 AM

"one protestor told Reuters, "We are showing the world that we are still people with demands." Yes, Al Wefaq are still demanding that woman shouldn't be allowed to vote or stand in elections.



© 1999 - 2014 Crash Media Group

The total or partial reproduction of text, photographs or illustrations is not permitted in any form.