Fernando Alonso heads to Monaco on a high after winning his home race in Spain, but already has his sights set on another achievement at this weekend's Monaco Grand Prix.

While the Spaniard is quick to identify Mercedes as a major threat for victory in the Principality - a theory based on the Silver Arrows' prodigious qualifying speed and the difficulty of overtaking on the tight street circuit - he knows that, unlike recent years, he also has a car competitive enough to challenge at the front.

"The feeling is good, the team is confident, as we saw we had a competitive package, getting both our cars onto the podium in Barcelona," he told the media during the traditional Wednesday gathering in Monaco, "We have had two podiums here in the last couple of years, so we should be competitive again and I hope to get a good result.

"We can expect Mercedes, who have been on pole for the last three races, to be very strong again - remember they were on pole position here last year -and we know how difficult it is to overtake, so maybe that makes them favourite."

Immediately after his Barcelona victory, which moved him into third place in the overall standings, Alonso said he would settle for finishing second in this season's remaining races but, when pressed by the media, he confessed that he would really like to win on Sunday.

"We must not forget our main target, which is the championship, and, in that battle, [Sebastian] Vettel and [Kimi] Raikkonen are ahead of us," he noted, "If Mercedes has to win one race, maybe this is the one, and we must just concentrate on finishing ahead of the others.

"But Monaco is a special race, let's say the most important race of the championship because everyone in the world has heard something about the Monaco Grand Prix, Indy 500 and Le Mans, even if they are not motorsport fans. It's been many years since Ferrari has managed to win here and, for me personally, I could be the first man to win for three different teams.

"For sure, that is a huge motivation."