F1 »

Monaco 2013: Alonso rues clash with Perez

Fernando Alonso blamed another poor qualifying performance for leaving him vulnerable to Sergio Perez' overtaking moves in Monaco on Sunday.
Ferrari's Fernando Alonso didn't have the best of visits to the principality of Monaco this weekend, ending up finishing one position down from his qualifying spot of sixth place after tangling with a feisty Sergio Perez.

The McLaren driver slipped down the inside of the Ferrari into Nouvelle Chicane, forcing Alonso to cut the corner to avoid taking both cars out, but then being forced to hand over the position to Perez because he went outside the track limits in the process.

"Arguably I cut to avoid the contact because I turned and I was not alone in the corner or anything and missed the chicane," he explained, "I was perfectly able to do it but here in Monaco there is no space for two cars and I cut to avoid the contact and then you need to give back the decision always.

"If I had not cut the chicane, I would not have been able to avoid colliding with Perez and the same thing happened at Loews with Sutil," he added, while admitting that it had been his performance in qualifying that was the root cause of his Sunday headaches.

"This race came at the end of a weekend that overall was difficult, starting with a qualifying that left me in the middle of a group of drivers who had nothing to lose," he said.

Although Ferrari's management team appealed to the FIA that Alonso's hand had been forced to avoid a collision and that he shouldn't lose a position because of acting responsibly, Alonso himself admitted that it was the right call.

"I tend to agree with the decision because I cut a little bit the chicane," he said. At the mid-race interval caused by the red flag for Pastor Maldonado's massive shunt into the barriers, Alonso even walked over to Perez on the grid and shook his rival's hand to show that there were no hard feelings. "I agree with that decision," he said.

But Alonso did feel that Perez was pushing his luck with some of his moves, and wasn't surprised at where the McLaren driver ended his day after a subsequent clash with Kimi Raikkonen's Lotus at the same spot.

"He has the car parked in the Rascasse, that is the only point that you can say," said Alonso. "He was lucky this year in two or three incidents. In Bahrain [there had been] nearly contact with Jenson, with me I was off the track avoiding contact. Here at the chicane I avoided contact again, but Kimi was not lucky because he didn't avoid the contact. But only McLaren has to be happy with him."




Related Pictures

Click on relevant pic to enlarge
25.05.2013- Qualifying, Fernando Alonso (ESP) Scuderia Ferrari F138
26.05.2013- Race, Fernando Alonso (ESP) Scuderia Ferrari F138 pass with the red flag
26.05.2013- Race, Fernando Alonso (ESP) Scuderia Ferrari F138
25.05.2013- Qualifying, Fernando Alonso (ESP) Scuderia Ferrari F138
31.10.2014 - Scuderia Ferrari F14-T, detail
31.10.2014 - Sergio Perez (MEX) Sahara Force India F1 VJM07
31.10.2014 - Fernando Alonso (ESP) Scuderia Ferrari F14-T
31.10.2014 - Free Practice 2, Fernando Alonso (ESP) Scuderia Ferrari F14-T
31.10.2014 - Free Practice 2, Sergio Perez (MEX) Sahara Force India F1 VJM07
31.10.2014 - Free Practice 2, Fernando Alonso (ESP) Scuderia Ferrari F14-T
31.10.2014 - Free Practice 2, Fernando Alonso (ESP) Scuderia Ferrari F14-T
31.10.2014 - Free Practice 2, Kimi Raikkonen (FIN) Scuderia Ferrari F14-T
31.10.2014 - Free Practice 2, Fernando Alonso (ESP) Scuderia Ferrari F14-T
31.10.2014 - Free Practice 2, Fernando Alonso (ESP) Scuderia Ferrari F14-T and a message to Jules Bianchi (FRA) Marussia F1 Team MR03
31.10.2014 - Free Practice 2, Kimi Raikkonen (FIN) Scuderia Ferrari F14-T
31.10.2014 - Free Practice 2, Fernando Alonso (ESP) Scuderia Ferrari F14-T
31.10.2014 - Free Practice 2, Fernando Alonso (ESP) Scuderia Ferrari F14-T
31.10.2014 - Free Practice 2, Kimi Raikkonen (FIN) Scuderia Ferrari F14-T

Join the conversation - Add your comment

Please login or register before adding your comments.

Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.


atxsxsw - Unregistered

May 27, 2013 11:58 AM

No doubt Alonso didn't deserve to lose the place to Perez, as he was just avoiding an almost certain accident from that kamikaze dive from Perez. However, complaining about Sutil is BS. It looked like he ran wide and Sutil made a perfect pass with no drama whatsoever. It appeared that Alonso was losing a bit of rear grip around that point in the race and he left the door wide open for Sutil.

rob01 - Unregistered

May 27, 2013 3:25 PM

Alonso said...As for what Sergio did, I don’t have much to say, his approach reminds me of my own in 2008 and 2009, because when you are not fighting for the Championship, you can take more risks.



© 1999 - 2014 Crash Media Group

The total or partial reproduction of text, photographs or illustrations is not permitted in any form.