McLaren's Sergio Perez has reiterated that he doesn't think he did anything 'stupid' during the Monaco Grand Prix last month, despite criticism from rival drivers.
Perez was one of the few drivers to make up positions on track during the event at the Principality, although his hopes of a scoring finish came to an end following contact with the Lotus of Kimi Raikkonen late on. The Finn later said that Perez should be 'punched in the face' for his driving and ahead of the Canadian Grand Prix this weekend, the subject was again brought up by reporters in the Montreal paddock.
“Every manoeuvre that you try to do in Monaco to try to overtake people is on the limit,” Perez said, according to Reuters
. “I did a couple of moves on the limit which at the end of the day went badly. The result was not the one I was expecting.
“But, I think the manoeuvres I did, they were right. I did nothing stupid.”
And what of Kimi's comment?
“At the end of the day we are humans, and you are very upset, very angry, and straight away you want to criticise somebody,” added the Mexican.
“I felt he [Raikkonen] ruined my race, he felt I ruined his race so it's very easy to make a comment straight away after the race.
“At the end of the day it happened. I'll move forward from that and I look forward to doing a great race here.”
Meanwhile, in Thursday's FIA press conference - featuring Charles Pic, Jean-Eric Vergne, Giedo van der Garde, Pastor Maldonado, Nico Rosberg and Felipe Massa – all the drivers' were asked about their opinion on Perez. However, only van der Garde was willing to publicly share his view.
“If nobody comments I will comment,” said the Caterham driver. “I know Checco quite well, we were team-mates together in 2010. “I think he's a real fighter, you know, and he's a guy who wants to win – everybody likes to win – but of course how he raced in Monaco, sometimes he did well, sometimes go over (the top) but I think it's a tough call.”