Kimi Raikkonen has said that he would be prepared to carry on racing even if his F1 rivals decide to withdraw on safety grounds at the German Grand Prix.

Although the threat of a driver boycott receded after two practice sessions without a repeat of the tyre failures that blighted last weekend's race at Silverstone, the possibility remains at least until the end of qualifying, with the Grand Prix Drivers' Association claiming unanimity on the prospect of sitting out the rest of the weekend should the problems return.

Raikkonen, along with fellow Finn Valtteri Bottas and Force India's Adrian Sutil, are not currently members of the GPDA, and therefore were not involved in the decision to vote and issue a statement confirming the intention to 'strike' on safety grounds ahead of the German weekend.

Related Articles

"I am not part of it, sometimes I go - but I hear about it as quickly as you," said the Lotus driver, who revealed that he had been invited to take part in the discussion, "I heard [about the boycott but] I am sure it is not going to happen anyhow."

Reflecting on the last time a race was marred by a mass 'walkout', after Michelin tyre problems prompted all but three teams to take the executive decision to quit the 2005 US Grand Prix after the formation lap, Raikkonen said he wouldn't miss out again.

"For sure, I will race whatever happens this time," he insisted, "[Lotus] haven't had a single problem all year, so I have no feelings. Motor racing is dangerous, anything can happen. The reason why [the tyres] exploded was that the teams were using them wrong. I am fine with it."

Interestingly, all eleven teams have said that they would respect their drivers decision should they want to back out of the race this weekend.

"It's not something we discussed with the drivers - they came back from the GPDA meeting and said that they'd made that decision," McLaren's Sam Michael revealed, "We respect that.

"Both of our drivers, and I'm sure the rest, are fully aware of the changes and investigations that Pirelli have done over the last four or five days. It has been a pretty monumental effort to get the tyres that they've got here. I fully appreciate that. We've had a lot of conversations with Pirelli directly and we're happy with the direction and changes that they're making. Both of our drivers are fully aware of that and understand it [but], at the same time, you can kind of understand their concern. They just don't want a repeat of the last race, so we respect them because of that."

F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone, however, has taken a slightly different stance, suggesting that the drivers could face punishment if they do not line up on the grid at the Nurburgring on Sunday.

"I can understand the position of the drivers very well, but I do not think that the grand prix will be affected," he told an interview with Germany's Die Welt, "There is a big difference between thinking something and really doing it. If the driver boycott the race, they are threatened with deprivation of their superlicence. Such a boycott would not help anyone or solve the problem any faster.

"I will try and find an opportunity to speak with the drivers - if they ever want to talk to me. Again, I understand their position and can understand the boycott threat. You are right to say that it is their life that they risk at the races - it's not the neck of the tyre company, the FIA or Bernie Ecclestone which they put at risk. They say 'we are in the car and you have to take care of us when it comes to the crunch', and I can understand that.

"But I think they understand that Pirelli will do anything to solve the safety problem. Against this background, there can only be a constructive solution and not a boycott. The drivers know that, and so too does Pirelli. The worst thing that can happen for Pirelli would be an injury due to a puncture. In the end, we all want the same thing and everyone is working to resolve the problem. I'm optimistic."