14 October 2013
Japanese Grand Prix: Whitmarsh teases over driver decision
McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh teased the media by revealing that he was 'one day closer' to naming his 2014 driver line-up - but there's still no word yet from Woking.
A couple of months ago, it seemed that McLaren's 2014 driver line-up had been decided and that all that remained was the formal press announcement. But the longer the team has extended its silence on the subject, the more questions marks, gossip and speculation have sprung up that McLaren might sprint a surprise and that retaining both current drivers Jenson Button and Sergio Perez might not be such a done deal after all.
When pressed on whether he was closer to making a decision about the drivers for next season, McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh replied that he was.
But then he added: "I'm closer because I'm one day closer than I was yesterday and, guess what, tomorrow I will be one day closer as well!
"I've said all along, let's have a few races go by and then let's have a chat," he pointed out. "And that's exactly what we are going to do. There's no tearing rush to do this at the moment. I know it's an interesting story - and a whole load of spurious stories stem from it - but we are in no hurry."
Which was all Whitmarsh would say on the matter on Sunday, at the end of a weekend that had seen the F1 headlines grabbed (as Whitmarsh had himself promised they would be) by confirmation that the team had succeeded in luring Peter Prodromou back to McLaren from Red Bull, where he currently works as head of aerodynamics alongside the team's chief designer Adrian Newey.
Even on this matter, however, Whitmarsh needed to be circumspect on the details, as there are some legal matters to attend to first given that Prodromou's contract with Red Bull is thought to run through to the end of next season.
"Currently he is employed by Red Bull and we have to respect that, which is why we are not talking about timeframes," Whitmarsh admitted. "But the fact is that he has a contract and he will come to McLaren." He added that he didn't know whether Red Bull would enforce a year of 'gardening leave' on Prodromou in the meantime to avoid the leak of company secrets.
Speaking for Red Bull, team principal Christian Horner wouldn't be drawn on the specifics of what was likely to happen: "Peter is a valued member of the team, he is making a valuable contribution. We have got tremendous strength in team within the team," he said. "The content of any contract obviously is confidential but the duration of his contract runs for quite a while yet. We're certainly in no rush to release him early and he will be with the team until the end of his existing agreement."
McLaren certainly needs the boost in the technical division as soon as it can get them. After some high profile losses to other teams - Paddy Lowe moving to Mercedes earlier this year one of the biggest recent blows - the team has seriously struggled this season, with Jenson Button's ninth place in Suzuka, which in previous years would have been tantamount to a disaster, ranking as a just a normal day at the office in 2013.
Click on relevant pic to enlarge
the conversation - Add your comment
Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.