This weekend's 2013 F1 Indian Grand Prix could be cancelled after India's Supreme Court agreed to hear a petition calling for the race to be stopped.
The petition has been lodged amid allegations the organisers of the event have not paid 'entertainment taxes' from last year's race: “We will hear the petition tomorrow,” Chief Justice P. Sathasivam confirmed on Thursday.
It is not the first time the Supreme Court has convened in relation to the event and back in 2011, organisers were ordered to freeze 25 per cent of ticket revenues, again due to a tax dispute.
A spokesman for the circuit's owner, Jaypee Sports International Limited, told BBC Sport
: “Whatever the court says, we are ready to follow.”
The Indian Grand Prix has appeared on the F1 World Championship calendar twice since its much-hyped introduction in 2011.
It is due to take a sabbatical next year, the combined result of rising costs in a tightening economic situation and Formula One Management's [FOM's] desire to move the race to an early season slot, and Vicky Chandhok, the head of Indian motorsport, has already expressed concerns
that it may never make it back onto the schedule. This latest dispute is unlikely to do anything to help.