F1 »

Force India: Lotus F1 a 'stumbling block' on driver front

Robert Fernley: We don't really know which drivers are available yet.
Force India deputy team principal, Robert Fernley has confirmed the Silverstone-based outfit won't make a decision on its 2014 F1 driver line-up until Lotus decides on its pilots for next season.

Lotus is said to be considering signing either Nico Hulkenberg or Pastor Maldonado to partner Romain Grosjean, although no announcement has been made as yet, as the Enstone-based outfit has still to conclude the investment deal with Quantum Motorsport.

Force India are also understood to be keen to sign Hulkenberg and the squad has been linked with former McLaren driver, Sergio Perez as well. Current FIF1 drivers Adrian Sutil and Paul di Resta remain possibilities too, although the former could end up at Sauber, while the latter is expected to be the odd one out.

“The stumbling block at the moment is who's going with Lotus and until that's resolved it's very difficult to know what's available,” Fernley told ESPN.

“At the end of the season, we've got two very good drivers and there's got to be a compelling reason to change one or both. We don't really know which drivers are available yet.”

The German media reported recently that Hulkenberg had already signed for 2014 with Force India, however, Fernley was non-committal when quizzed on those stories.

“There have been stories like that for a few weeks now and Nico is one of the drivers we'd like to look at,” he added.

Force India finished 2013 as the best non-manufacturer team and Fernley reckons this puts them in a strong position when it comes to attracting drivers'.

“As long as we're not diluting the performance, because the shareholders are very clear about what they are looking for and that is performance. It's always going to be on talent [in terms of which drivers we sign], if we can get money it's a bonus,” he continued. “I think we deserve to be a main target. I'm very optimistic for 2014 considering the work we've done this year.

"The fact that we've not only managed to get the development working for next year, but hold onto sixth place is a great achievement for everybody here.”

Related Pictures

Click on relevant pic to enlarge
19.04.2013- Robert Fernley (GBR) Sahara Force India F1 Team Deputy Team Principal.
22.03.2013 - Press Conference, Robert Fernley (GBR) Sahara Force India F1 Team
Robert Fernley (GBR) Sahara Force India F1 Team Deputy Team Principal. 21.02.2013.
25.08.2013-  Race, Kimi Raikkonen (FIN) Lotus F1 Team E21 and Paul di Resta (GBR) Sahara Force India F1 Team VJM06
25.08.2013-  Race, Paul di Resta (GBR) Sahara Force India F1 Team VJM06 and Kimi Raikkonen (FIN) Lotus F1 Team E21

Join the conversation - Add your comment

Please login or register before adding your comments.

Although the administrators and moderators of this website will attempt to keep all objectionable comments off these pages, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the poster, and neither Crash Media Group nor Crash.Net will be held responsible for the content of any message. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. If you find a message objectionable, please contact us and inform us of the problem or use the [report] function next to the offending post. Any message that does not conform with the policy of this service can be edited or removed with immediate effect.


November 27, 2013 3:21 PM
Last Edited 148 days ago

@Ojay Surely it's clear from what Fernley actually says that they want drivers who perform, not bring money... Surely the fact they want Hulkenberg and DON'T want Potato Moldynacho says that clearly. @1Jez Red Bull are the Renault pseudo-works team. They don't pay for their engines.

© 1999 - 2016 Crash Media Group

The total or partial reproduction of text, photographs or illustrations is not permitted in any form.